• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

oak leaves

sefscf

5 Year Member
hi all have a question on oak leaves I just boiled a batch and was wondering how many I could put in a ten gallon tank with out making water chemistry go out of wack. these are apisto tanks. thanks

gerald

5 Year Member
It depends on what else is in your water (hardness, alkalinity, other ions) but I'd start with maybe 10 to 15 leaves, assuming you're talking about typical-size (~5 to 7 inch) white, red, post, or scarlet oak leaves. Since you boiled them, they've already lost some of their soluble tannins & humic compounds, so they wont affaect your water as much as unboiled leaves. Fish love to hide & explore under them.

Simon Morgan

5 Year Member
Firstly, there's really no need to boil them. Secondly, the impact on pH depends on the current parameters or your water. Do you know the KH?
Thirdly, it doesn't actually matter too much, most Apistos will be happy at low pH.

sefscf

5 Year Member
I boiled them more for leaf litter. I guess I did not know how many I could put in. because I only put one to two unboiled catappa leaves in at a time. plus using water from boiling as black abstract for small water changes for breeding. my kh is 4. so if I was not to boil leafs how would I prepare them and also how would I prepare oak branches for tank

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Simon is right about not boiling them. Just rinse off the dirt & dust. If you're worried about live organism on them, just microwave them (damp) for a minute or two. That should kill anything.

Robert O'Donnell

Hey sefscf, not trying to hijack your thread but being that I live in the desert does anybody know of a reliable source to purchase Oak leaves?

Robert O'Donnell

hey Robert no problem. how many do you need I have tons of them

I have a 40 gal 36L X 18D community atm and I am just now setting up a 20 gal strictly for Apisto's, additionally I plan on adding a couple more tanks in the near future. Whatever you can spare and is most convenient for you would be great.

Captain Jim

In the south, our oaks are mostly the type that leaves are teardrop shaped and about the size of your thumb..are these acceptable to use in aquariums?

Robert O'Donnell

In the south, our oaks are mostly the type that leaves are teardrop shaped and about the size of your thumb..are these acceptable to use in aquariums?

Thanks for the offer Captain but I have sefscf sending me some. Hopefully they will be arriving shortly as I have my second tank going through the cycling process atm.

Captain Jim

Thanks for the offer Captain but I have sefscf sending me some. Hopefully they will be arriving shortly as I have my second tank going through the cycling process atm.
Okay, Robert..I see a request like this from time to time, and certain times of the year tons are accessable,..this year I'm going to get a few leaf bags full for that. I'm getting my first rams later today, I'm even considering giving them some litter, I'm not sure.

Robert O'Donnell

Okay, Robert..I see a request like this from time to time, and certain times of the year tons are accessable,..this year I'm going to get a few leaf bags full for that. I'm getting my first rams later today, I'm even considering giving them some litter, I'm not sure.

Yeah my EBR's just dropped some eggs but they didn't last long. I believe they ate them as they are in a community tank atm but at least it's a good sign. Looks like I have 1 male and 2 females and all three of them get along good so probably won't be long before they drop eggs again.
After I get this second tank up and running I have two more long 30 gal tanks I will be setting up, wouldn't mind stocking one of them with some Rams.

Thanks again for the offer and keep us updated on your progress.

Captain Jim

Yeah my EBR's just dropped some eggs but they didn't last long. I believe they ate them as they are in a community tank atm but at least it's a good sign. Looks like I have 1 male and 2 females and all three of them get along good so probably won't be long before they drop eggs again.
After I get this second tank up and running I have two more long 30 gal tanks I will be setting up, wouldn't mind stocking one of them with some Rams.

Thanks again for the offer and keep us updated on your progress.
Not able to pick up new fish today..owner got stuck at work,..thats okay, I can tighten up new tank. you have EBR's? Thats electric blue rams? If you want to pass some on let me know. I wish I had another 33 long tank..I like those.

rr16

5 Year Member
I know it's a bit out of date but I've had rams spawn on oak leaves before so they're probably a good addition (not that I got any fry, but still!). Had bronze cories spawn on them too! Aggies used them as a nursery to keep wigglers in curled up oak leaves also! I love oak leaves and so do my aggies and pygmy cories (even find the odd neon swimming underneath it from time to time!)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….