• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not sure what's happening to eggs

Molino

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, I have a pair of Cacatoides in a 20 gallon long tank. Their tankmates are some otos, 2 SAEs and some Harlequin Rasboras. Every 2 or 3 weeks the female lays a new batch of eggs that seem to disappear several days later.

The Ph is usually about 7.0-7.2, Kh 4.5 and temp ~79 F. The female lays the eggs on the back of some driftwood with thick plants behind it (somewhat cave like).

Here is a picture (not very good):
Eggs-sm.jpg

Which of these reasons might be the culprit?
1. Something with the water conditions that is causing the eggs not to hatch.
2. Some of the tankmates eating the eggs
3. Or the parents eating the eggs

Neil

Molino,
Could be all of the above. Most likely it is a parental issue. How many times has your pair unsuccessfully laid? Sometimes it takes numerous tries for them to get it right. Other times, they never do! But that is rare and there is usually some way to help them finish their job.
Neil

Molino

5 Year Member
Thanks. The parents have laid eggs about 4 times since I've had them. Hopefully they'll improve with future batches.

If not maybe I'll put a small clay pot in the tank. Providing a more secure location for the eggs might reduce the parents stress and stop them from eating the eggs (if that's the culprit).

farm41

5 Year Member
Try the pot, it's easy to saw a notch out just big enough for her to get in or just let her go through the drain hole. With the inverted pot she won't get stressed watching all the other fish go by.

Mine sometimes don't even come out till they are leading the fry.

Molino

5 Year Member
Actually I just saw a picture of a coconut shell cut in half with a small opening that looks really nice. I have heard of this idea before, but in this picture it was covered with Java Moss which makes it look so much better. I might give that a try.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….