• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Normal behaviour for A. Cacatuoides?

Ringo

OK - so first up I'm a complete newbie when it comes to Apistogramma so apologies if my question is naive!

I've kept most other types of tropical fish over the last 20 years and decided to have a change and just bought (2 weeks ago) my first pair of A. Cacatuoides; They are currently in my Q-Tank and I've enjoyed observing this inquisitive fish.

My question is really about the behaviour of the female fish.

She spends quite a-lot of time swimming around with her fins down; that said when feeding or while I'm doing some tank maintenance, she's interested with fins erect (looks great). Is that fairly typical behaviour for a female?

Other than my concern over 'normal' fin positions, she seems OK.

Her tail fin was a little pecked from time in tank at the shop with a-lot of other females, but that has grown back well over the last two weeks with no sign of finrot or any other type of infection.

The male swims around with his fins up most of the time and generally looks in great condition; he's been displaying to the female quite frequently with flicks of his tail and fins on full display.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Seems normal for a submissive apisto. The male is just dominant in your tank. Does your quarantine tank have places where she can hide from the 'amorous' onslaught of the male?

Ringo

My Q-Tank has a flower pot and a half coconut shell as hiding places and is relatively sparsely planted; that said its not a massive tank (only 25L capacity) - I could look to move over some more plants from my main tank (needs a weed out anyway) to make things a bit more dense from a planting perspective which would give her a bit more cover.

Ringo

Picture of female uploaded (male is my profile pic btw). Unlike the male, she's not a fan of having her photo taken...

Attachments

• apisto-female.jpg
    apisto-female.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 328

Ringo

Just for the record, I think my Q-Tank was a little small; adding some extra plants diffused things during quarantine and both fish are doing well in my main tank which is larger and heavily planted with lots of places to hide!

Lesson: I probably need a bigger Q-Tank...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….