• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New tank - 108L

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
With that said, it seems to bem A227 to me. The caudal fin does not show blue at all.

The breeder said to me that this is a F1 pair. So they can't be hybrids, right?

I'm also starting to think that they are two males instead a pair...
F1 can be hybrids because most exporters will not keep the two forms/species apart (as in many other closely related species too). However, in your male I don't see anything that points towards this. It look like a typical A227. About the sex of the smaller fish I can't say much based merely on seeing it's head. However, it seems to show some kind of dark coloration around the lips which could be a first sign of the typical purple coloration shown only by males...

Gaisller

F1 can be hybrids because most exporters will not keep the two forms/species apart (as in many other closely related species too). However, in your male I don't see anything that points towards this. It look like a typical A227. About the sex of the smaller fish I can't say much based merely on seeing it's head. However, it seems to show some kind of dark coloration around the lips which could be a first sign of the typical purple coloration shown only by males...
I'll take some more photos of the lesser one today. I also asked the breeder if it's possible that he sent me two males by mistake.

Thank you very much Frank.

Gaisller

Updates.

I received the pencil fishs. They are Nannostomus trifasciatus.
IMG_7883.JPG

Here's another picture of the lesser Apistogramma:
IMG_7865.JPG

IMG_7748.JPG

The fins looks right to me, they are very smaller than the male's fins. What concerns me is the dark spot on the mouth. I believe that only males develop it, right? So what do you think? Can it be a younger male? Is it really a female?

Below some pictures of the male. He's becoming more colorful and less shy. Really beautiful fish.
IMG_7915.JPG

IMG_7920.JPG

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Updates.

What concerns me is the dark spot on the mouth. I believe that only males develop it, right? So what do you think? Can it be a younger male? Is it really a female?
Imo the smaller one is a male too. In the first of the new photos of it you can already see a purple edge around the lips which will shortly develop into a larger area as in the bigger male.

Gaisller

That was my fear...

I contacted the breeder and he said that will send me one female as soon as possible. But I'll have to keep this male. My only option is pass him to the bigger tank and hope the dicrossus does not care about it. The other tank is 1,4m long and I keep 4 dicrossus (3f 1m)... What do you think?

MacZ

My only option is pass him to the bigger tank and hope the dicrossus does not care about it. The other tank is 1,4m long and I keep 4 dicrossus (3f 1m)... What do you think?
Worst thing that can happen is the Apistogramma becoming aggressive towards the Dicrossus. They should be passive towards the Apistogramma, though. At least the females. The Male, though... If the colouration of the Apistogramma is too close to the pinstripe of an aggressive Dicrossus, this might go wrong.

But my gut tells me this should work out.

MacZ

Worst thing that can happen is the Apistogramma becoming aggressive towards the Dicrossus. They should be passive towards the Apistogramma, though. At least the females. The Male, though... If the colouration of the Apistogramma is too close to the pinstripe of an aggressive Dicrossus, this might go wrong.

But my gut tells me this should work out.
In any case, PLEASE report back on how this worked out or not. I'm really interested in the compatability of different dwarf cichlid genera in the aquarium. My hypotheis is that Dicrossus and Mikrogeophagus may actually be compatible with Apistogramma, provided the numbers and tank dimensions fit the bill.

Gaisller

In any case, PLEASE report back on how this worked out or not. I'm really interested in the compatability of different dwarf cichlid genera in the aquarium. My hypotheis is that Dicrossus and Mikrogeophagus may actually be compatible with Apistogramma, provided the numbers and tank dimensions fit the bill.
Sure, no problem!

Today I'll rehome the smaller male. I keep you updated.

Gaisller

Hey guys, question: A. sp. Abacaxis needs caves to spawn? The female is super aggressive protecting the left side of the tank, I don't know if it's a breeding behavior...

Thanks in advance.

A few pictures to uptade.

Female:
IMG_8144.JPG

IMG_8145.JPG

Male:
IMG_8161.JPG

IMG_8173.JPG

IMG_8175.JPG

IMG_8176.JPG

Nannostomus trifasciatus and Macrobrachium jelskii:
IMG_8165.JPG

I don't rehome the second male yet. My girlfriend is finishing her 60 liter tank and it will be the new home of the little guy. It's with one male betta at the moment, but it should get out soon. Here's one pic of the tank:
TNTS0416.JPG

Gaisller

So… I know it’s strange but for how long can a female of apistogramma desapear? I haven’t see mine for more than a day. I looked in the floor near the tank and didn’t find it. Searched over the tank I and didn’t see it too. All the other fishes are fine and healthy.

Any tips?

rasmusW

5 Year Member
So… I know it’s strange but for how long can a female of apistogramma desapear? I haven’t see mine for more than a day. I looked in the floor near the tank and didn’t find it. Searched over the tank I and didn’t see it too. All the other fishes are fine and healthy.

Any tips?
With her coloration, one could only hope she has found a good hidingspot for her eggs. Or prepping one.
Crossing fingers its that atleast.

-r

Gaisller

She returns!

After long three days, I saw the female again. Not gonna lie, I was hoping for the worst.

PLEASE report back on how this worked out or not
Mac, the male is in it temporary home (the main tank). Didn't notice any kind of aggression between apistogramma and dicrossus.
The apistogramma defends its territory, but as soon as dicrossus gets away, there is no trouble. Dicrossus completely ignores the presence of the apistogramma when it leaves his cave.

Gaisller

A little update:

After sometime, the female is missing again. I saw her for the last time two days ago. Hope she's ok.

I also did a layout change, so the aquarium is with less driftwoods and branches now.

The male is increasingly colorful.

Some pictures below:
dsadsa.jpg

048049.jpg

04510.jpg

0489079.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….