• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Species

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I guess that it's understandable that the range of A. allpahuayo is restricted to the Allpahuayo/Minshana National Reserve in Uwe's paper. He restricted the range to locations of specimens he had at the time of its writing. This species, however, was unknown in the lower Nanay system until well after it was first discovered by Mortenthaler's father-in-law near the village of Diamante Azul on the Alto Nanay (not the town of the same name on the Río Napo) in the early 1990s. Julio Melgar collected it nearby, near Santa Maria de Alto Nanay, a year or so later. Two years ago TomC and MarkB (Microman) collected the species in the lower Río Pinoyacu near its mouth on the Alto Nanay.

A. allpahuayo was not known from the lower Nanay until it became a commercially valuable species. Then it suddenly appeared in pools and streams near Iquitos, along the Iquitos-Nauta highway - the only paved road out of Iquitos to the south. These same pools and streams had been collected/sampled by scientists/hobbyists/commercial collectors for decades. I wonder whether or not the fish used for the paper actually are transplants. Collectors have moved popular species to streams & pool close to Iquitos in the past. Collectors would then be able to collect these fish without having to travel long distances. The 'wild' Peruvian Discus are a good example. These discus appear to have been moved from Brazil. Genetically they are similar to the Rio Tefé population. As far as I know, there are no Discus populations between the Rio Tefé and the fish found near Iquitos. Discus belong to a completely different faunal realm.

TomC, Julio Melgar & I were discussing this recently when Julio brought up and got me thinking about transplanted commercial species. I just thought some of the members here might find it interesting. This certainly doesn't invalidate any of Uwe's paper.

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
I still find it very interesting on the variances of this species in their coloration. It's another reason this is my favorite species!

I've had the opportunity to have these fish twice; the first time in 2009 I got several wild caught specimens and bred them. Then again in 2012, got them again. Here are a couple of pics demonstrating the difference in the male...

2009 Male:
100_8783.jpg

2012 Male:
Apistogrammaschwarzkinn025.jpg

Seems like the 2009 male had a solid black line on the front of the ventral fins, and then a blue overtone in the flesh part of the fin; the 2012 male has a marbling of yellow and black in the flesh of the ventral fins.

The 2009 male had a lot more orange to his dorsal extensions and a more orange mouth; the 2012 male lacks both.

I like 'em both; but I'm kinda partial to the first ones I got. Man, I wish I could find who all I sold fry to and see if they still had them!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….