• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Species

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
1996-I got 2 pairs of this fish from a guy in Minn. They spawned like mad for me, I finally advertised some for sale in the ACA trading post. At 1:00 in the morning a guy calls me to see if I actally had the fish, he tells me to send photos. I do. Two weeks later I get another call at 1:00 in the morning. He has tickets, meet me at Portland airport. I do. He brings 165 elizabethea and around 36 mendezi for trading material. He goes back with 225 "Juruensis". We've been buds ever since.

Attachments

• P1000514.JPG
    P1000514.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 604

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I remember the fish when they came through Milwaukee and I believe you got some of that stock I had at the store through Jim Raesch. Freddy Krause was the importer in Milwaukee who brought that group into the US. I also had some of that stock myself. Great fish with a ton of personalty that did spawn very readily.

Melanochromis

Thanks for the news. It's really nice to have an official name for such a pretty species. Hopefully people will stop confusing it with juruensis.
:)

PS. I noticed the article has 11 authors. So many!

Melanochromis

Page 205 is quite interesting. It says:

"Apistogramma allpahuayo sp. n. is the only species of the genus in which functional sex change has been unequivocally recorded."

"Pretor (pers. comm. to UR 2005/2006) kept a functional adult female with typical sexual traits, which successfully reproduced repeatedly before its mate died. After this loss it grew rapidly to normal male size, expressing clear and typical male colours and sex-linked morphological traits. The only fry remaining in the aquarium grew up into a mature female within the approximately six months that followed. Pretor was then surprised to observe this specimen spawning successfully with what was originally its mother."

Amazing.

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Page 205 is quite interesting. It says:

"Apistogramma allpahuayo sp. n. is the only species of the genus in which functional sex change has been unequivocally recorded."

"Pretor (pers. comm. to UR 2005/2006) kept a functional adult female with typical sexual traits, which successfully reproduced repeatedly before its mate died. After this loss it grew rapidly to normal male size, expressing clear and typical male colours and sex-linked morphological traits. The only fry remaining in the aquarium grew up into a mature female within the approximately six months that followed. Pretor was then surprised to observe this specimen spawning successfully with what was originally its mother."

Amazing.

That is what Peter reported, although for me--I would want to see for myself.

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Spell it? Hell! Pronounce it for me please!!!

All-pah-wayo

It's a nature preserve in Peru--my bud with the other authors collected there last year--it is a project of a univ in Peru, He is going back in 6 days. I get to collect by proxy--he gets back--I go to germany and get some specimens. I contribute a little to the descriprions--not much really--but I do get the fish! I am going over the 5th Sept.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Thanks Dave! I'll have to read the paper in full once I get back from the ACA convention. So it sounds like the fish has a pretty wide distribution then...or at least it gets outside of the preserve since I can get them in from Peru on a regular basis.

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Thanks Dave! I'll have to read the paper in full once I get back from the ACA convention. So it sounds like the fish has a pretty wide distribution then...or at least it gets outside of the preserve since I can get them in from Peru on a regular basis.

Well distribution can be a question--they dont collect that wide an area, they cant, time is divided up between lab, writing and etc. --so these could exist in one smaller area on the preserve--but then a larger area outside. Though Uwe has collected them from both inside and outside. It's hard to tell. Since this project started about 5 years ago they are out to answer some questions. They have found out some interesting things about fish we have been getting for awhile.

Microman

5 Year Member
Well distribution can be a question--they dont collect that wide an area, they cant, time is divided up between lab, writing and etc. --so these could exist in one smaller area on the preserve--but then a larger area outside. Though Uwe has collected them from both inside and outside. It's hard to tell. Since this project started about 5 years ago they are out to answer some questions. They have found out some interesting things about fish we have been getting for awhile.

Well done to Uwe and the LMI-EDIA-project team.

The only problem i have with the paper, and also the teams A.cinilabra paper, is the fact that Uwe mentions a limited distribution and as a result the fishes poor conservation status.

As Dave mentions the project doesnt collect /study vast areas and most likely takes notes from locals on fishes distribution. The fishermen from Iquitos dont tend to collect from a wide range, often going back only to areas close to Iquitos where they are certain to collect a particular species, they have little knowledge of distribution. There are obviously one or two exceptions to this rule....

There are reports that this species was artificially introduced into the areas near to Iquitos to make its collection easier for the locals, something that Im sure is widely practiced. The amount of Apistogramma species found along the Iquitos-Nauta road is amazing compared to other areas within Peru.

Tom and I collected this species in the Rio Pintoyacu drainage in 2010, some 14 hours by fast boat from Iquitos.

Mark...

Microman

5 Year Member
[quote="Microman, post: 69602, member: 970"
The only problem i have with the paper, and also the teams A.cinilabra paper, is the fact that Uwe mentions a limited distribution and as a result the fishes poor conservation status.
Mark...[/quote]

Uwe does in fact report that it may have a wider distribution than that mentioned in the paper...
Mark...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Good to see a name published. I was one of the early "idiots" who believed A. allpahuayo was A. juruensis. Uwe was too (that damned separate caudal spot threw us both a curve). I expect that 'allpahuayo' will replace 'Schwarzkinn' for the serious d.c. hobbyists, but doubt that the commercial sources will change anytime soon. Most don't even use Schwarzkinn. They still use 'juruensis' or some misspelling of the name!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….