• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new setup questions-dwarf cichlids

shirley

5 Year Member
:? Hi Everyone! This is a great site, especially for people such as myself who are new to cichlids. I am hoping to set up another tank soon, and would like to have 3 species of dwarf cichlids, 6 brown marbled hatchetfish, and about 15 cardinal tetras. Question #1- which 3 species will best co-habit the same tank? From some of my reading, the suggested species include: Apistogramma agassizzi, A. borellii, A. cacatuoiodes, A. macmasteri,A. maulbruter, and German blue rams. Question #2- I understand that A. borelli and rams are best in pairs, and A. cacatuoides is best in a trio. What about the other 3 (agassizzi, macmasteri, and maulbruter)? Question #3- What size tank will I need for this batch of fish? To be honest, most websites recommend tanks far larger than the average hobbyist will ever buy! My 2 present tanks are overstocked by some standards, but they are pleasing to the eye, and are healthy. I am faithful to feed lightly and to do weekly partial water changes. My water is a spring-fed well, which is soft and acidic (and absolutely wonderful for drinking - no bottled water for us!). I am hoping a 55 gallon tank will suffice. A 75 gallon would seem HUGE! Thank you for your help with these 3 questions!! Shirley

Neil

shirley,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

A 55g. should be Ok for 3 species, but you will have to make sure that you choose fish of close to the same disposition. And give them good cover or structure to establish their own territories. This is a little more difficult with 3 species than it is with 2 (2 sides of the tank). However, if you chose 2 apistos and a nannacara of microgeophagus (etc.), it will be a little easier.

#2- I understand that A. borelli and rams are best in pairs, and A. cacatuoides is best in a trio. What about the other 3 (agassizzi, macmasteri, and maulbruter)?

It is not always the case that pairs or trios of a particlar species are ideal over the other. It depends on other factors. Cichlids1(of this forum) had 2 females borellii breeding (or 1 breeding anfd the other permitted to be involved) in the same cave at the same time. The is the ultimate polygamy. Rams sometimes prefer a reverse trio. And I have had 2 agassizii females spawn simultaneously in a small tank within inches of one another.
Maulbruter is a fairly aggressive and large fish. It is also difficult to find. That may not be a good choice for the mix. You need to look at what you have access to and then decide on pairs and trios.
Choose the fish that you like and then post your decision and get feedback. There alot more good choices than what you have mentioned.
Neil

shirley

5 Year Member
Hi Neil! Thanks for your input! My tank is still in the planning stages, and being a registered nurse, I tend to read and analyze compulsively before I set up a new tank! I am in the process now of ordering books on dwarf/South American cichlids, so I plan to become better informed. This website is a wonderful way to get personal feedback from other fishkeepers.

Orchid

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum, Shirley. Neil is right, there are many other dwarf cichlids to choose from. There is the adorable Nannocara anomola and at least two species of checkerboard cichlids (my favs in the S.A. dwarfs).

Good job at ordering books on these fish. Now you'll be able to approach this hobby knowing about the fish and their requirements/strong behaviors rather than just picking out whatever an not knowing if it will all work out. Good luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….