• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Set Up

tango

5 Year Member
Hi,

I am about to set up a tank and would be greatful of any tips u could give me. The tank is 48"x12"x15" I have an aqua pro 3 external filter 2l ehfemech,and 4l ehfesubstrat. One 300watt heater. I have one 30 watt gro lux tube. I do intend building a new hood with plenty of refelctors.
I have bought some ceramic half log caves and a ceramic root. To begin with i intend to use some plastic plants with a mix of some real ones, will discard the plastic when (if) the real ones take hold.
My tap water tests shows PH 7.2 GH 120 ppm KH 70 ppm

I would like to keep appistogramma cactuoides 1m 3f and a pair of bolivian rams. Would this be ok ?

I intended starting the fishless cycle of this tank tonight had all the playsand washed and ready to go in, then done a bit of reading on the forums and decided to go with pool filter sand , so will be starting next weekend.

Any tips on plants for my conditions would be much appreciated.

Apistt_ed

I'm not a plant guy so I won't be able to give you the scientific names of the actual plants, but the ones that i keep that do well in low to medium lighting are java ferns, red wendt plants, java moss that i tie onto bogwood until it grabs hold of it, and banana plants. I also have low patches of aqua grasses. All of these work well with the light only coming from the windows most of the time. sorry i can't help you out more... but you should be fine if you choose some of these. cheers and best wishes john

Marc

5 Year Member
tango said:
Any tips on plants for my conditions would be much appreciated.

Hi Tango,

i've found an very good page about plants in Danmark... jepp, i know it is a long distance, but here You can find a lot of informations. One of the best plant-catalogues i've ever seen. :) Take a walk here:
http://www.tropica.com/plant_print.asp

with a click at the plants there opens a new window with a lot of information about the individual plant, like light-reqirements, height, width, temparature, hardness tolerance, pH tolerance and so on.

Hope that helps, and please excuse me, my active knowledge in english ain't so good... (i should make this to my signature :wink: )

Greetings
Marc

p.s.: You can choose the language at the start-page. :biggrin:

aspen

5 Year Member
hi marc, with the lighting you've got for now, there aren't a lot of plants that will grow. when you upgrade the hood you'll have a lot more choices. maybe wait till then for the real plants? there are some nice fake plants out there, btw.

a 300 watt heater for a 40 gal tank is over-kill, maybe a 150 would be a better choice. also, ensure that you can turn the flow down on your filter with a valve kit.

rick

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….