• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New at the Apisogramma species

ampdaman

5 Year Member
hello everyone. im new to the forums and this species. just today i took down my 20 long (all the fish had passed except for my two coolie loaches) and added the whole supply of driftwood, java fern, anubias, swords and java moss and 10 gallons of the water to a smaller 10 gallon tank that is intended to house a species or species of apistogramma. I have 4 species in mind that have caught my eye. agassizii "alenquer" aggie, agassizii double red, A. borellii opal, and A. nijsseniI really have my eye on the borellii or nijsseni. I am just wondering which species would be best for a densley planted 10 gallon and the amount that would fit in there with comfort. Any responce will be helpfull. Thanks in advance! p.s my name is Aaron :biggrin:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hi Aaron, welcome to the forum.

A 10 is pretty small for most apistos, especially if you are just starting with them. With some experience you should be able to breed any of the species you list. For now I would suggest that you try a pair of A. borellii. There are many beautiful color morphs of them and they accept harder water, even when breeding.

ampdaman

5 Year Member
thx

thank you very much! im just wondering..what is the best size for apistos? I really like the nijsseni's alot and im probably gonna set up another tank. but i just downgraded from a 20 long community to move the desk it was on out of my bedroom. I have heard that it is best to keep a few female apistos to one male and if so would i be able to get 2 female borellii's and one male and be ok in the ten gallon?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My experience with A. borellii is that a 10 will be too small for 2 females with fry at the same time - which often occrurs. I even had problems in a 20 Long. The females would take each other's fry, which become lost and disrupts feeding by the fry. More fry are lost in this way. Although males will happly breed with more than 1 female, they are not usually as agressive as many of the more polygamous species. They don't need several females to keep harmony in the tank. My preferred tank depends on the species. Pairs of smaller non-polygamous species do well in 15s; trios of polygamous species get at least a 20 long.

ampdaman

5 Year Member
so if i re-setup my 20 long (uhg should have planned all this out before i decided to move the tank..) i could get like 2 females and a male and perhaps some cardinal tetras and other fish too?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, but with cardinal tetras in the tank, you will not raise many fry. These tetras are very efficient fry predators. If you want an interesting community tank, then this would work well.

ampdaman

5 Year Member
hm well really i want to breed them but also want a sputh american community. well we do have a 50 gallon from when i was like 8 and had just started the hobby. so i might be able to make that the community and the 20 for the apistos? wow this is alot of strain on my 14 yr old mind lol

ampdaman

5 Year Member
well i just got a 15 gallon long aquarium and im currently setting it up. will this be enough for a group of like 2 femalse and a male borelli or incas?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
For borellii, yes, but for Incas (A. baenschi) you will probably end up with a dead female. A. baenschi forms bonded pairs. Any other specimens of the same species will be driven out of their breeding territory - your 15.

ampdaman

5 Year Member
hm ok. thanks for the insight, now im thinking that if i want to breed them then i probably wont want like rummynose or cardinal tetras in the tank but is it possable to breed them with those other fish in there also?

Apistt_ed

ampdaman said:
hm ok. thanks for the insight, now im thinking that if i want to breed them then i probably wont want like rummynose or cardinal tetras in the tank but is it possable to breed them with those other fish in there also?

Yes you can do quite well with the smaller pencil fish, like

Nannostomus beckfordi- picture link below
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/CharaciformPIX/Nannostomus beckfordi PencilfishMD U1.JPG

Nannostomus eques- http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/CharaciformPIX/Nannostomus eques AQ.jpg

or even hatchetfish (marbled or silver hatchetfish)

these I have been able to keep with my apistos without much loss of fry. they are much better than the tetras.

best luck! john

ampdaman

5 Year Member
thank you. i finally got my first pair of apistos. not really what i expected to get btu i got some agassizi alenquer. hopefully i can get some pencil fish or mayby some cories. i currently have 1 or 2 ottos in there(dont think the other one made it :frown: ) thanks

aaron

ampdaman

5 Year Member
ok now that my fish are all established a problem has come up. my male agassizi is being really agressive twords my female. im not sure what to do about that. can someone please help out? i currently have the male in a net at the top of the tank but i dont want to keep him there long.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….