• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

"new" apistogramma

Fisherking

5 Year Member
I found some names of new apistogramma sp

Apistogramma acrensis
Apistogramma inornata
Apistogramma similis
Apistogramma alacrina

does anybody know something about them.

Neil

Fisherking,

These are all newly described species of Apistogramma. The first 3 are listed on the main site species list and were described in 2003. The last one, Apistogramma alacrina, has JUST been described by Kullander in March, 2004. I know nothing about this fish yet. But, undoubtedly it is a fish that has been around for a little while (probably) and has just not received a valid description until this month.

More to follow as it becomes available to me. If anyone knows more about this species, please do share here!!!

Neil

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
There are photos of A. alacrina in both Römer's Atlas (p. 903 top) and SAC II (p. 66 S03935-3). It is part of the Rotpunkt-group.

You also did not mention the other two species newly described by Staeck with A. inornata & A. acrensis: A. velifera (= A. sp. 4-stripes/Viersteifen) and A. tucurui (= A. sp. Tucurui)

Neil

Mike Wise,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Nice to have you here Mike and thank you for the information on A. alacrina. Is it actually A. sp. "Rotpunct"?

Neil

Rolo

5 Year Member
Neil said:
Rolo,

I couldn't get anything to come up on the PDF link that you posted.

Neil

Hi Neil,

do you have the latest Acrobat reader?
I could send it via Mail to you if you want.

greetings,
Rolo

Rolo

5 Year Member
I am not sure. I have 4.0. But, yes, I would appreciate you sending it to me.

Hi Neil,

you should update first (to at least 5.0, the actual version is 6.0).
I guess, otherwise it wouldn't help, if I send it via mail.

but you can try it...

greetings,
Rolo

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I forgot to answers Neils question. No, A. alacrina is not the A. sp. Rotpunkt that has been in the hobby since 1974. Oddly, it was a young college student named Sven Kullander who introduced the Rotpunkt Apisto back then in the ACA's Buntbarsche Bulletin as "A. sp. affin. taeniatum. A. alacrina is a species closely related to Rotpunkt. There are at least 4 species in Koslowski's (2002) Rotpunkt-group.

Mike Wise

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi Mike,

Yes, but which one of these species in Koslowsis book is the A. alacrina?
What was the common name before the desription?

greetings,
Rolo

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I just got a reply from Ingo. He thinks that the holotype is the same as A. sp. Rotpunkt (Guayas) & the female is A. sp. Rotpunkt (Ortequeza). I have not seen pictures of females of the Guayas form, so I am not sure. According to Koslowski, Kulander has lumped separate species together in the past (A. cruzi & A. sp. Putumayo). It is possible that he has done the same here.

Mike Wise

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJM_Aquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….