• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Apisto Setup

Cichlid Junkie

5 Year Member
I have a 33g long (48x12x12) that is currently in it last few days as a reef tank that I want to convert to a low/med light planted tank. I would love to have some checker board cichlids and a pair or trio of apistos. Is this possible with a tank of these dimensions or should I limit myself to one or the other?

DanielG

Having ONLY the apisto's MAY work, but you should have a contingency plan if one of the females gets exiled. I wouldn't push it though, these fish can be finicky.

Cichlid Junkie

5 Year Member
Once the 33g is set up, if I have to separate a female, I have a planted 20 long and in worse case a 10g qt tank to move any exiled fish to. I have kept Cacatuoides, Norberti and Agassizzii throughout the years but only pairs or trio is their own tank. This would be my first venture into having another cichlid in the tank with the apistos.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Since your 33Long basically has the same bottom dimensions as a 55, I see no reason not to try mixing checkerboards with a pair/trio of apistos. It really depends on which species of checkerboard & apisto are mixed, and particularly how the tank is decorated.

Cichlid Junkie

5 Year Member
I'm not sure what species of each one I plan on getting. It all depends on what is available at Atlanta fish club auction this Sunday. I know I will be able to buy more plants than I have room for and some driftwood. I already have some coconut shell caves that are in another tank. The apistos range to what the breeders normally have in the club. There will probably be some cacatuoides, borelli and the likes...maybe a few unique ones.

Mike, do you have any recommedations on what would be a safe mix of apistos and checkerboards?

Cichlid Junkie

5 Year Member
I would like to have Discrossus Maculatus but may have to settle for the Filamentosis due to availability. IIRC, the Filamentosis are the more robust of the group. Please correct me if I'm off the mark.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sorry, you're wrong. D. maculatus is a more robust species in size, mass, and disposition. D. filamentosus is the least massive and most passive of the Dicrossus species. From what I've read, D. filamentosus isn't often found with other dwarf cichlids. Still, there are some apistos that probably will work with the species. I suggest trying members of the resticulosa-complex and maybe the pertensis- and smaller species of the iniridae-group.

Cichlid Junkie

5 Year Member
Thanks for the course correction Mike. I'll have to do some studying tonight on the suggestions you made so I am well prepared for whichever fish that may be availble at the auction.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OzzynHarriet

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….