• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New and question about feeding Apistogramma

aquaeric13

Hello,

my name is Eric and I´m new here.
I have a question about feeding Apistogramma:
I feed my Apistos with living black and white mosqito larvae,daphnia and cyclops.
Sometimes also frozen artemia.
Some breeders feed their Apistos with Enchytraeus and other worms.
I think the worms are very fat because in my view they live longer if you feed them sparing or is it necessary to feed them with fat food (especially worms) before spawning?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum Eric. I for one agree. Live foods, particularly aquatic insect larvae and crustaceans, are as close as we can get to apisto diets in the wild. Worms are fine is used sparingly, particularly for inducing spawning. Not all of us are willing or able to feed this way, so variety is a good practice. I also agree that most hobbyist over-feed their fish, causing obesity and obesity-related problems that shorten the life of apistos.

aquaeric13

So ok Mike,you also said live foods is very good for Apistos.
Now I have another question: I often collect the insect larvae and daphnia in a small lake near my house.
Before I feed the larvae I clean them under running water to flush out germs and parasite.
Is that necessary and useful to keep down the germ-proof or is that pointless?
I didn´t have any problems with diseases trough the live foods so far but anyway I want to ask that.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Collecting live foods from any location that could have live fish can introduce pathogens. Any true cleaning would probably kill the live food, too. It is better if one cultures such live foods instead.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fish Gramma

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(