• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need some help figuring out what is going on.....long post.

ginnie5

5 Year Member
as some of you may remember I have a pair of cacatuoides that I'm trying to breed. The female has repeatedly eaten the eggs when they get to about the wiggler stage. The last two spawns have been big ones too. I have removed everyone from the tank except 4 ottos and six glolight tetras adn the male. I even took the extra precaution of putting in a tank divider so that she has half the tank to herself. Yesterday we had plenty of eggs that were nice and red. Today we have maybe 20. Over half are gone. She isn't guarding any other spot in her half of the tank either. So now I'm wondering if maybe just maybe the mts are eating the eggs at night? I know there are quite a few in the tank. I thought these were supposed to be safe though? I have one baby from her last spawn that has made it and seems to be growing. I guess I can do this with these last few eggs but I would love to just once actually see her raise them. I am going to go ahead and set up a tank just for her and her mate before they spawn again. I have a 10g sitting in the tank stand that I can add a light to easily. The tank is "hidden" so maybe more privacy will help. It would have to be bare bottomed with some floating plants and maybe some java moss or anachris. I know my water is ok or they would not keep spawning right? The ph is about 6 and the kh is 3. I do about 1/3 water change every week. Plenty of plants and pvc tubes although she uses the same one everytime. I am open to any ideas to get her past eating her eggs. Or something else eating them. Heck if need be I'll redo the substrate to get rid of the snails. Thanks for any help!

Randall

5 Year Member
Egg Eaters

Dear Ginnie,

If you think a heterospecific is eating the eggs at night, why not put a small non obtrusive light next to the tank and shine it on the cave at night? If you think the snails may be the culprit, you might get rid of them. That's what we have Clown loaches for.

I hope your next post is to tell us about all your free swimming fry.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….