• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Weird breeding behavior.

margo45

Hey all! I'm new here but I have a question! I have a pair of macmasteri and the female lays eggs in her cave then Guards them for the day, however after a couple hours she picks them all off the ceiling and puts them out of her cave. Any ideas as to why?

Attachments

• 20240106_213130.jpg
    20240106_213130.jpg
    937.5 KB · Views: 32

Apistoguy52

Short answer probably sounds something like mama knows best. There’s probably something wrong that she gets, that we don’t.

margo45

Fair enough. Thank you. This is the second batch she's done this to, so I was a bit confused.

Apistoguy52

Fair enough. Thank you. This is the second batch she's done this to, so I was a bit confused.
Yeah. Been there, done that. In my experience, it usually comes down to one of two things. 1) male didn’t do his job (very infrequent ime) 2) conditions that are conducive to incubating eggs (bacterial/fungal loads or water parameters (inappropriate pH/tds).

2 is usually the culprit. After the second misfire, I’ll start softening the water and reducing the pH till it works

margo45

Thank you! I had my other pair breed and they hatched a ton of babies so I'm gonna have to check the TDS on this tank to see how different they are

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….