• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need help with ID

benny

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

I'm new...and quite clueless when it comes to south american cichlids.

Here's two of them which I would like to know more about.

IMG_4569R.jpg

I know the caudal fins is partially obstructed from view, but this is the only picture I have at the moment.

IMG_4690R.jpg

This apistogramma is a contaminant with a bag of cories.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi,

The second, I'm not sure, I have to look first, but it should be something close related to Ap. eunotus.

The first one, I think, looks like a Laetacara species.

greetings,
Rolo

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
The superior orbital stripe is the giveaway sign for the Nanacara.. (but I have been horribly wrong before).

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi tjudy,

I guess, you're right, I retract the Laetacara statement ;-)
But I found no Nannacara species either, what it could be.
But I have not very much experiences with Nannacaras, I just had N. aureocephalus once, but it's a while ago.

I also have no idea yet, wht the Apisto could be. Before I ask someone else, are some more informatios available, e.g. locality, more pictures (female), size/age?

greetings,
Rolo

Neil

benny,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

There is alot that points to your apisto as being A. sp. "Rotpunct". The caudal spot is a little off, but so many other diagnostic points are there, that I would go with that. Rolo...?

Neil

Rolo

5 Year Member
Neil said:
There is alot that points to your apisto as being A. sp. "Rotpunct". The caudal spot is a little off, but so many other diagnostic points are there, that I would go with that. Rolo...?

Hi Neil,

a good guess... I think you're right! It seems to be a form of Ap. sp. "Rotpunkt". There are several different forms of that species.

greetings,
Rolo

benny

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome and the generous comments/suggestions.

I'm trying to get a few more pictures so that it's easier to get an ID.

But the fishes are really getting better of my patience. For the time being, I'll see if I can read up more on these 2 species.

Thanks!

In the meantime, here's a funny one to share with you guys!

IMG_4643R.jpg

It's the same apisto in the second picture.

Cheers,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJM_Aquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….