• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need help ID on yellow Apisto

janky

Hi, first time posting here, and not sure if I'm in the right section - sorry the layout is a little confusing.

I was referred here by another site, as no one was able to identify my apisto. He was rescue from craigslist, and they said he was a Nijjseni (sp?) but the other website did not seem to agree.

Here's a couple pictures of him - he's pale yellow most of the time, but when scared or angry he gets a dark grey stripe running horizontal down his body and some grey stripes running vertically along his top half.
He's about 3.5 to 4 inches right now.

photo16.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo2.jpg

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Welcome to the dwarf cichlid formum!

It's not a nijsseni complex fish. The fish in that group all have a red crescent on their tail. I'm pretty sure it's an eunotus complex species but I can't narrow it down to which one for you, sorry.

janky

wow, yea... there are a LOT of similarities - especially to this pic:
apistogramma_eunotus_fem.jpg

I'm guessing that means its a female too!

I'm going to have to look up more info about them... at least now I have somewhere to start. Thank you!

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your fish is a male. Look at the ventral (paired lower front) fins. Females will have a black leading edge to these fins and males will have little to no black there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….