• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nanochromis transvestitus

Noddy65

5 Year Member
Any tips on keeping these guys
Ive put a pair in a 50 litre tank with loads of rocks, logs etc but Im not sure it will be big enough.

Is it true they need ph of around 5 to spawn successfully?

Any other info from people who have kept them.

Thanks
Mike

Randall

5 Year Member
Hello Mike,

50 litres may be too small for your pair unless they are highly compatible. Like other Nanochromis spp., N. transvestitus males can be rough on females, especially when spawning.

A pH of 5.0-5.5 is necessary to breed them. Using discus strength water (KH 2-3) and then treating it with peat moss will achieve this.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Apistogramm-Sam

5 Year Member
Yes they are exceedingly tough on each other. I had a pair in a 60 gallon and even that seemed small for them. The fry seemed to be extremely sensitive to water quality and were too small to eat bbs right off the bat. They also seemed to have a slow growth rate, despite daily water changes and feedings of rotifers and bbs. It was cool to watch them plow over the sand in a leap frog style searching for food. They are worth it though, and their color is extravagant. Good luck with them :)

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
There are always exceptions. I have a compatible pair in a 15 gallon tank that has spawned in soft water with a pH of 6.0. She is guarding eggs right now (laid them yesterday) and I dropped the pH to 5.5 to see if the eggs/larvae will survive better.

Noddy65

5 Year Member
Well...yep you guys are correct as usual.
I ended up keeping them in their pairs for about 24 hours and then seperated them.

Im now looking for a couple of 4' tanks to house them in and am looking for a way to explain it to the wife (she's been away and doesnt even know Ive got the fish).

Any other suggestions on what can be housed and bred with these guys...they are fantastic little fish...

Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….