• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My New Rams

Glasgowa

5 Year Member
Hello

I'm pretty new to the forum and same for Cichlids. I set up my tank last month and was initially looking at central american but my PH wouldn't budge from 6.5 so looked into Dwarf's. I have been waiting ages (so it seems) to properly populate the tank. I went to my LFS a couple of days ago with the intention of a trio of cacs but found some 'Wild' Rams (bought throught Holland) although I am being told they probably are not wild! The are fantastic and seem to be settling in pretty well.

The photo's are pretty poor (my first time) but couldn't wait to show them.

Cheers

Andrew
4rams.jpg

2Rams.jpg

Ram1-1.jpg

Ram1.jpg

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
They're looking good Andrew.
Why aren't they wild? They look great anyway!

Thought you might want to know that the grassy plant in your tank probably isn't going to last too long! It can't grow under water and will just rot! When you get your new plants (You did say you had ordered some plants online, didn't you?) fish that one out! The one at the back looks like either an anubias, and that prefers to be tied onto wood or rocks than being buried in the gravel, or it's a Peace lily and will rot underwater too. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Glasgowa

5 Year Member
Ed

Thanks, according to another forum (BCA) they said that they are probably not wild caught as I called them blue rams! and they are a man made species so they tell me. So I am just going with wild rams if anyone asks:wink:

Thanks for the plant info. The anubias was bought from the LFS (they order from Aquatic plants.eu) I use all the time and is potted but will take it and tie it to something. As soon as I receive the real plants the others are back to the shop. I will learn by my mistakes

Cheers

Andrew

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I've done it in the past mate, don't feel too bad!

I'm no expert on Rams, but 'Blue Ram' is just another common name for this species. It's now applied to the bluer, tank bred forms rather than the golden ones, but all the same species. Yours look like they could be wild to me, the colour's just a bit more subtle. Either way they look like cracking little fish - good choice!

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
That should be a good starter selection, and they'll hopefully grow really well. Some other bomb proof, low light plants are Java Fern, Java Moss and other Anubias.

BTW, don't leave them in their bunches when you get them (Foam wrapped or not!) split them up and plant each stem individually! It'll take a bit of time, but they'll grow a lot better and look way more natural. By getting a smaller selection of different plants it will look way more natural when they fill out rather than the assortment of different plants I, and lots of other people, have! Sorry if some of this advice is 'teaching your gran to suck eggs', but I just think I'm better saying it in case you don't know! There's some really good plant info on this site http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/ just ignore all the high tech stuff for now and see how they do in your tank. That selection is pretty bomb proof! The plantfinder (http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/index.php) will give you some good info on the species you have coming.

BTW2 the fertiliser that you get free has a good write up too (though I've never used it). It's like a big teabag and you just tuck it in the filter or at the back of the tank somewhere and it sorts out the fertilising for a while.

Glasgowa

5 Year Member
Ed

Your advice is all new to me and I am grateful for it. I would have probably stuck them in in their bunches unless told otherwise. Will check out the sites you passed on.
Thanks

Andrew

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….