• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My cacatouide male has become very dark

blizowman1

I have a male and female pair they have been fine till today. I made a trip to my favorite lfs and bought some plants and another fish for my tank when I got home I did a little planting and plant moving stirring up a lot of crap out of the rocks. I added my new fish and now today I wake up and my males whole body has turned a really dark color almost black even the clear areas of his fins have turned dark and his red is really bright. Should I be worried or is it just from all the excitement from the day before

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
I'd venture a guess it's just stressed out a bit. When you stirred up your gravel, you may have disturbed some of the biological filtration and thrown the water off a tick. Try doing a 25% water change and see if that helps. Just a guess, since there's not much specific information in your question.

blizowman1

Well I didn't get to specific because that's really all that's happened I haven't done anything to the tank except my regular water changes

blizowman1

ok so i came home after work tonight and decided to change some water since it might have been me stirring up everything in my tank and my male decided to come out but he wasnt really swimming around he just kind of laid on the bottom. i took some pics so you could see him and see what i ment.
8b6f9549.jpg

a7176cd9.jpg

dfccfed8.jpg

im kind of afraid he might have gotten hurt at some point yesterday when i was putting the new plants in my tank i know it is not the fish i added to the tank because at one point when i was changing my water tonight they were chilling out right beside each other

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
but he wasnt really swimming around he just kind of laid on the bottom.
Doesn't sound good, and he does look a bit unhappy and stressed, he also looks a bit thin. If you could I would swap some of the pebbles for sand, one of the problem with coarse pebbles is that organic waste can build up between the pebbles and compromise water quality. Sand would allow your fish to sand sift, and may make them feel more comfortable. After that try and keep up your water changes and feed the fish some live food and best of luck.

Do you know what your water is like in terms of hardness?

cheers Darrel

blizowman1

Well now I'm even more worried if he did get pinched will he recover and another thing is the day I realized he was acting funny a saw my female swimming around in the back of the tank but haven't seen her since and she didn't even con out when I fed them today :(

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….