• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mostly Male Apsito Fry

MapleNeil

I've had two batches now of Apistogramma "sp. Viejeta Red" and the fry were 90% male. Does anyone know what could cause this?

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Temperature is the first thing, that comes to my mind. But i’m sure there is more to it than that.
Have you tried to do a search here? It’s been discussed many times.

-r

MacZ

Temperature, pH and TDS during brooding can influence this. There is likely no information for this strain.
"sp. viejita red" is a trade name, not a valid or independent species. They are a tankbred domestic form of Apistogramma macmasteri. So if you find anything, you will likely find it with that species name.

MapleNeil

Temperature is the first thing, that comes to my mind. But i’m sure there is more to it than that.
Have you tried to do a search here? It’s been discussed many times.

-r
I tried searching for "all male fry" but it returned every thread with "male" or "fry" in it. Am I doing something wrong with my search?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
There isn't much <"scientific data for sex ratio differentiation" in Apistogramma spp. but I'd expect A. macmasteri would be similar to fish that <"we do have values for">. Have a look at <"Does Temperature affect sex ratio"?>

This is a more recent Römer paper than the 1996 one previously referenced. Beninde et al. (2020) "Changes of water temperature caused by deforestation are of major concern for the future of many species of Apistogramma (Regan, 1913) (Teleostei, Perciformes, Cichlidae, Geophaginae)" Bulletin of Fish Biology 19 pp 1 - 25.

From personal experience, in both A. agassizii & A. cacatuoides about ~26 or 27 oC (78 - 80 oF) gives you 50 : 50 male : female fry, although I have had all male and all female broods without knowingly having changed the temperature.

The warmer the water is the more males you will get. You also tend to get better male fry survival if the fry are crowded etc. I assume this is because the male fry are usually a bit bigger than the females at the same age.

cheers Darrel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….