• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

mixing apistos...

ptite_ange

5 Year Member
hi all,

i was wondering if it is possible to mix and raise together apistos of differents species... I have 19 juvenils cacatuoides in a 20 gal and i'd like to get maybe juveniles of 2 others apistos and raise them with those i have...

It is possible and which species would u recommend mixing?
Eventually i will keep a trio of cacatuoides in either a 77 gal community or in a 29 gal with various dither fish...

my water stats are : pH 7.1 (tap water is about 7.4)
Gh is around 107.4 ppm
Kh is around 71.6

How do i get softer water? I read about peat moss to lower ph but does it affect water hardness?

i know at least 2 people in my area that have some breeding fish and
I say a great trio of mc masteri in the pictures Badguy put up... (message, message :wink: ...)

I like the Hongsloi as well ... The more i look around , the less i know was to chose... there are to many of them... :evil: I'm seriously considering putting apisto only in the 77gal... ( 2-3 harem would be nice... :wink: )

Oh yeah... Someone said on the previous post i left that cacatuioides were easy to sex... mine have no color except bold black stripes so how do i tell the little boys from the little girls??? I read somewhere that femalle had black ventral fins... is that true? If it is i seem to have more femalles than males...

thanks a lot
Ptite_ange

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi Ptite_ange,

About mixing apiso species, it depends what you want them for. Most people discourage the mixing of species. If you plan on spawning them, you wouldn't want them to hydridize (I don't think). Also, you would probably have a difficult time identifying the species of a mixed batch of females as most look alike. But if you just want them to inhabit a community tank, I guess that would be alright, just please don't raise the fry to sell.

I have about 6 or 7 species in my wife's 55 gallon community tank but they are all males. I like to keep trios in my breeding tanks and put the extra male in the 55 gallon as back up in case something happens to the other male. They all get along fine, but they are no females in there for them to squabble over.

Peat moss does a good job reducing the hardness as well as the pH. Your water sounds OK for most apistos to live in. You shouldn't have to be concerned about lowering the values unless you plan to spawn them. I'm not familiar with ppm measurements as I use degrees. For example, my tap water is GH8 and KH5 and pH7.5

Female cacatuoides do have black along the front edge of their ventral fins, but sometimes subordinant males will take on females colors to avoid aggression from dominant males. The males are easier to pick out when young because their ventral fins will be almost clear and the other fins may show a hint of color. If the front end of the ventral fins are very black you can probably be fairly sure they are female, but most will be somewhere in between and you'll have to wait until they mature to be certain. I'm sure those with a lot of experience in raising apistos can probably pick them out blindfolded!

Michael

ptite_ange

5 Year Member
cootwarm said:
I have about 6 or 7 species in my wife's 55 gallon community tank but they are all males. I like to keep trios in my breeding tanks and put the extra male in the 55 gallon as back up in case something happens to the other male. They all get along fine, but they are no females in there for them to squabble over.

Peat moss does a good job reducing the hardness as well as the pH. Your water sounds OK for most apistos to live in. You shouldn't have to be concerned about lowering the values unless you plan to spawn them. I'm not familiar with ppm measurements as I use degrees. For example, my tap water is GH8 and KH5 and pH7.5

i had my heart set on having a community tank (77gal) with a pair of angels... could i keep 2 trios of apistos in there wtih them? it's a 48X24X16 tank si if apistos require 3 ft of territory per trio i could in theory have 2 right?

It will be planted as soon as i can build a new light fixture for it... i only a have a single aquaglo lighting it for the moment...

My water hardness is gh 6 kh 4 and pH 7.1... How soft does the water have to be for spawing. I have an interresting mix of juvies in the 20 gal and i would like to see (at least once in my life) a mating ritual...

thanks a lot

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Sounds like that could work. If you find 2 species of apistos that are different enough, you could probably tell them apart and they themselves probably wouldn't be interested in crossing species. Just avoid some of the more aggressive species and keep an eye on them when you introduce them. I find that apistos have a better chance of getting along in a group if they are put together as juvies.

You have very good water. Your water would be fine like it is for many apistos, including cacatuoides, borellii. My maulbruters have been spawning often in my tap water. Some species require very soft, acidy water. Because your water is already soft, peat moss would be very effective at softening it even further. Using peat moss, I can get my water to pH 4.5; GH3; KH1.

Michael

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….