• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

L. Curvicep stocking question

WhiteDevil

Hello.

I have a 52g tank that is chock full of dithers and SA cichlids and natural species surroundment. I am moving 90% of the tank which has over 100 fish in it counting all dithers and kuhlis ect anyways. I will be down to corydoras, two RNP's, 2 SAE's and the kuhllis that multiply on their own. I have an EB ram and a pair of L Curviceps that will also remain in this tank.

Heavily planted and lots of wood and pieces of shale scattered about in just the right places for spawning of my rams and others that wanted to use it.

lighting is a 39wx2 t5HO 6700K

filtration
aquapro 175 wet/dry w/ Cpr CS100 O/F box

300w via aqua heater( 82 degrees,ok?)

eco complete substrate

water is RO 6.8 Ph, this can be lowered if needed, please advise if needed.

how many can I have in this tank? as in pairs of curviceps or other SA's that will work in this tank. ALL SA's dwarfs are open to consideration.

I am new at SA dwarfs but keep SA cichlids (angels,rams,curviceps and discus) now. Never got into before I got a pair of EB rams.

Thank you in advance.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If you're not interested in breeding and raising fry, then you could get away with quite a few dwarf cichlids. It really depends on how the tank is laid out. If, on the other hand, you do want to breed the curviceps, then I'd recommend 2 sq. ft./2500 sq. cm per breeding pair. These fish have a large number of fry and require a large breeding territory. Remember, dwarf cichlids are still cichlids and will aggressively defend a territory. If overly crowded, don't be surprised that losses occur.

WhiteDevil

If you're not interested in breeding and raising fry, then you could get away with quite a few dwarf cichlids. It really depends on how the tank is laid out. If, on the other hand, you do want to breed the curviceps, then I'd recommend 2 sq. ft./2500 sq. cm per breeding pair. These fish have a large number of fry and require a large breeding territory. Remember, dwarf cichlids are still cichlids and will aggressively defend a territory. If overly crowded, don't be surprised that losses occur.

Ok, I do plan on taking out the pair before they lay eggs if not atleast get the eggs removed and into 15g long tanks.

I was more concerned with aggression. and as you noted in another thread I am trying to figure out how to sex them. do you have examples of the methods you gave me over there?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJM_Aquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….