• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stocking question

anewbie

This is the start of the setup - after i figure out the driftwood i'll add the leaves:
b1.jpg

open to suggestions - i have about 8 more pieces of drift wood to pick from - also for some reason the Zoo Med Talawa Mangrove Root Medium float - not sure if it will ever sink or if i need to accept it as just floating.

anewbie

Last friday i added about 4x driftwood and some leaves but forgot to take a picture - this is what it looks like now:
b10.jpg

--

This is 30 inches front to back and 48 inches wide (though the picture doesn't cover the full 48 inches). Suggestions ?

Also when is it safe to add some pencil and hatchet fishes - i know zip about cycling a blackwater tank - i should measure the tds - it was 2 when i put the water in but i'm sure the biotanicals have raised it a bit. Later this week i'll add some floating plants and maybe a few snails.

anewbie

Hum. I added my first live critter - a blue shrimp piggy back on the plants i brought over so i tossed it in along with some hornworth and floating plants. Good luck finding that blue shrimp in there.

Oh - bad news for me - sadly the tds is up to 25 - not sure why it is so high.

anewbie

Well maybe those ions will walk away with time? I'll add some peat in a day or so - i tried shinning a 100 watt LED flood light into the mess and couldln't see very far so it is a pretty dense soup. I was going to post the picture but decided another brown blob wasn't very helpful. I'll test ph in another week. Some people were recommendeding putting the peat directly under the substrate but i'm thinking i'll put it in a filter bag in the sump.

MacZ

Oh - bad news for me - sadly the tds is up to 25 - not sure why it is so high.
Honestly... not bad. I'm struggling keeping it at around this level, but with humic substances and plant fertilizers I barely get below that.

With all the stuff still visibly suspended in the water such values are not unexpected.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….