• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

just got some apistogramma nijsseni

lamchops

my buddy bought 2 pairs of them. the male killed the other male and then a few days later he went and killed one of the female. after that my buddy told me to take them cause he didn't want them anymore, so I did. few days in my tank and the female was making a cave for herself underneath a driftwood. I didn't know why she was doing it so I asked one of my friend and he said that she was probably making a cave to lay eggs. so when I got home last night I looked at the area where she dug her cave and saw eggs.

here is my tank setup. looks way better in person than in pictures.

here are the parents

the area where she laid the eggs

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Ha! I guess your friend didn't know this is how nijsseni-group species typically form a breeding bond. They aren't like most other apistos in this respect.

lamchops

it looks like the eggs are gone possibly eaten by the female. I am hoping it wasn't but only time will tell if little wigglers are moving around the tank

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….