• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this a dwarf cockatoo male? i think not.. and is this a sneaker dwarf cockatoo?

apisto420

so i bought this fish thinking it was a male dwarf cockatoo but doesnt seem like it at all, i thought it would color up more but it never did and it was labeled a dwarf cockatoo..

also i have a bunch of female dwarf cockatoos that i raised from a batch of frys about a year old now. finaly one showed up as a male and im thinking there are more sneaker males. let me know what ya think here are the pics

sneaker male? look at the tail coloring up
dsc00295ye.jpg
dsc00302ow.jpg

male dwarf cockatoo look alike? what is it? also first 2pics has the "sneaker male" in it
dsc00303ik.jpg
dsc00305au.jpg
dsc00309j.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Color enhanced domestic strains are often hard to sex, especially when young. Look at the length and color of the ventral fins. If the "female/sneaker male" is over 1¼"/3cm long, then the short ventrals with extensive black pigment indicates that it is a female. Males (even sneaker males) will usually show some kind of a pattern of dark markings in the caudal fin.

apisto420

thanks mike. can you tell me if this guy is a dwarf cockatoo or not? i got him from the dwarf cockatoo tank thinking it was a male but it doesnt look like one at all, the mouth is just too small and its not as colored up, it almost looks like a dwarf cockatoo male though
dsc00309j.jpg

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….