• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is sp. Batan cf Huascar

chris1932

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
I recieved fish on Monday of this week that were shipped as sp Batan. Quite a few people were wondering what this fish really is. After letting them settle in and eat some bbs they have colored up nicely and are doing the spawning dance.
Here are some photos.
8F2U8903.jpg

8F2U8893.jpg

8F2U8892.jpg

8F2U8888.jpg

8F2U8870.jpg

8F2U8901.jpg

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi,

these fishes are available here in germany, too.
I talked to Uwe Roemer about these fishes (he gave them the name "A. sp. Batan") why he thinks, that they are a different species. They obviously do look like A. huascar. He told me, that these fishes are from the Rio Javari at the border to Brazil. This is a different and separated water system than the usual locality of A. huascar. So he waits for the results of a genetic analysis to decide wether it is the same species or not.

regards,
Rolo

Microman

5 Year Member
Whilst in Peru in 2010 Tom and I found A.cf.huascar within the Rio Galvez drainage, not far from the Rio Javari, on the Peru/Brazilian border. Will be interesting to see results of genetic analysis.
Did Uwe mention why he called them A.sp.Batan?
Mark...

Tom C

5 Year Member
This species seems to have a wide distribution in the actual area.

We collected it in the Río Tapiche in 2009:

resizeimage.aspx

In the Río Galvez (which from where it meets the Río Yacuerana forms the Rio Yavari) in 2010:

resizeimage.aspx

and much further upstream the Río Galvez in 2011 (where it lives sympatrically with A. sp. "Matses"):

resizeimage.aspx

The local fishermen call it A. sp. "Galvez", I have no idea where the "Batan" name comes from....

I agree with Uwe Roemer; the Río Galvez (and the Río Tapiche) is very far away from where the holotypus of Apistogramma huascar was collected (In the Río Nanay drainage, 45 km southwest of Iquitos). And not many species occur on both sides of the big rivers like Río Maranon, Río Amazonas and Río Ucayali. So I wouldn't be surprised if this is something new.

This is a map of the actual area.
The spot marked green is the area where the holotypus of Apistogramma huascar was collected.
The spot marked yellow is the area in the Río Tapiche where we collected the actual species in 2009.
The spot marked red is the area in the Río Galvez where we collected the actual species in 2010 and in 2011.

resizeimage.aspx

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I guess that this is similar to the genetically different species/forms of A. caetei. Almost no difference morphologically, but genetically distinct. I can understand the distribution of the different populations. All occur on the old Pastaza Superfan, which existed prior to the present river systems.

Tom C

5 Year Member
....... I can understand the distribution of the different populations. All occur on the old Pastaza Superfan, which existed prior to the present river systems.
I know the Pastaza Megafan (Late Miocene (11 – 5 Million Years ago), between the present Río Putumayo and the Río Tigre drainages), but what is the Pastaza Superfan, Mike?

Tom C

5 Year Member
HaHa, you made me look through the whole book (Amazonia: Landscape and species evolution) to try to find where I have overlooked the definition of "Superfan" :biggrin:

But this means that the present Río Nanay population and the Río Tapiche/Río Galvez-populations were gathered in one large widespread population in the eastern part of the Pastaza Megafan at least more than 5 million years ago, before the Río Maranon /Río Amazonas and the Río Ucayali existed! Amazing! One must deeply admire and respect such ability to survive changing surroundings!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….