• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. cf. ortegai "Pebas"?

apistobob

5 Year Member
I'm quite sure I've had this misidentified as A. sp. "Putumayo" for the past 20 years. It looks to me like A. cf. Ortegai "Pebas" because of the caudal blotch. I purchased them as A. sp. "Putumayo" and I don't have any photos of the female.

Any thoughts?

Bob

Attachments

• Apistogramma_sp._putumaya_M_3.jpg
    Apistogramma_sp._putumaya_M_3.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Apistogramma sp.Putumayo male.jpg
    Apistogramma sp.Putumayo male.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 82

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
You right it's not A. sp. Putumayo. To me the caudal blotch looks more like the "double spot" of A. ortegai than the "drop-shape" one of A. cf. ortegai (Pebas). But the variablity of these features is so big, that from seeing just one specimen it's very easy to go wrong. Do you have photos of females too?

apistobob

5 Year Member
You right it's not A. sp. Putumayo. To me the caudal blotch looks more like the "double spot" of A. ortegai than the "drop-shape" one of A. cf. ortegai (Pebas). But the variablity of these features is so big, that from seeing just one specimen it's very easy to go wrong. Do you have photos of females too?
I don't have any female photos but this one shows caudal spots of three different males

Attachments

• ortegai 3.jpg
    ortegai 3.jpg
    547 KB · Views: 89

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Putumayo, Pebas and Papagai/ortegai were mixed together so many times when originally introduced. They obviously, to me, are not Putumayo (different caudal spot), but your fish could be a mix of Pebas and ortegai. The Pebas area has been contaminated with A. ortegai by native collectors. This includes the type locality for A. ortegai near Pebas. It is far from the Quebrada Paucaryacu in the middle Río Ampiyacu where ortegai naturally occurs.

apistobob

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike and Frank, I'm content to never know for sure. They were wild imports in 2008 and are long gone from my fish room.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….