• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Info on Apisto sp. Jurua needed

likmuk

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum..hope you guys can help me out here. I saw a pair of Apisto sp. Jurua in a local fish shop recently and was since fascinated by their beauty. So i decided to read up/research on them but so far information had been scarce (no info available in Dr Romer's atlas vol 1).

Some questions here:
- I was told by someone that they are rare in the wild, so most stocks available in the market are tank bred, is this true?
- I would like to know the description of their locality, natural habitat and water parameters
- Difference btn Ap. sp. Jurua vs sp. Jurua Emerald, are they the same or is emerald a specific color morph?

Thanks in advance

The specimen i saw looks really similar to this:
http://www.yuzuriha.sakura.ne.jp/~way/fish/img_ju01.htm

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If the fish on the web site is the same species that you have, then they are the fish that Koji Yamazaki first introduced into the Japanese hobby as A. sp. Juruá Emerald, Oliver Lucanus in North America as A. sp. Goias Redtail, & Frank Warzel A. sp. Juruá. Koslowski (2002) believes that the name Juruá was too close that of A. juruensis & fears that the fish might be confused by hobbyists. Therefore he suggested that they be given the name A. sp. Cruzeiro, for the area from which the occur - around Cruzeiro do Sul on the Rio Juruá in western Brazil. You might find information on this fish under some of these names.

Very little has been published on them. The only, rather brief, reports on biotope & successful breeding that I know about are found in Koslowski's DATZ (12/99) article & book (2002). He states that the fish occur in blackwater habitats and that they have been successfully reproduced. Apparently they need water conditions of around pH 5 & no mineral/carbonate hardness, otherwise the eggs do not develop. On the other hand Koslowski reports that one breeder took wild fish & got them to reproduce in slightly alkaline, moderately hard (300 µS/cm) water, but the hatch rate was extremely small.

mervin

5 Year Member
that is one beautiful fish !!!

the are very rare and cost about US$150 here in Singapore !!!!

take good care of them and may they spawn for you soon !!!

good luck !!

mervin
:D

likmuk

5 Year Member
Thanks for the response! Certainly interested in getting my hands on them. One more qn, anyone knows the max size the adults (male and females) can reach?

blinkmiao

5 Year Member
question again....what is the exactitude name of this fish now?
also..can we find any red spot on it?because in hongkong the name of this fish have"two red spot"@.@
thanks a lot^.^

one extra question :oops: where can i import the wild A. sp. Juruá ?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
question again....what is the exactitude name of this fish now?

As with any common name, it will change depending on who is selling it.

also..can we find any red spot on it?because in hongkong the name of this fish have"two red spot"@.@

It has red-orange caudal margins like A. steindachneri, but I don't recall seeing red caudal spots on this form.

one extra question where can i import the wild A. sp. Juruá ?

This form comes from a location outside of normal commercial collecting areas. They almost never appear as wild caught fish. Mimbon Aquarium (Köln/Cologne, Germany) originally brought them in.

likmuk

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info provided before, i finally got a pair of this fabulous apisto (not wild specimens)! I spoke to a fellow hobbyist recently and he commented that as A sp. Jurua belongs to the Caca family, they would eventually attain a size similar to that of the Cacas...is it true?

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have seen them at Herbert Nagels, Mimbon like Mike said and once at Glasers--I am going over this Sept does anyone want me to get some?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Photos can be found in the 12/1999 issue of DATZ & in "Die Buntbarsche Amerikas, Band 2" by Koslowski. The only photo that I know of in an English publication is in one of Oliver Lucanus' TFH collumns (somewhere in 1998 if I recall correctly). In it Lucanus called it Apisto sp. Goias Red-tail.

Apistt_ed

apistodave said:
--I am going over this Sept does anyone want me to get some?

Hey Dave,
Just out of curiosity, what are you going to bring back?! There are plenty of fish that we don't see here in the states and are on my wishlist... would love to see what you might be coming back with... Have a great trip also!

M

Mimbon

Hi

I had collected this fish in the vincinity of Cruzeiro do Sul.
Its true that its very rare species,I could find them only in 1 small blackwater stream,and only 1males 2 females-the whole aquarium population in europe origins from that 3 fishes.
As I heard from my brasilian friends( they had collected them 1 year later
again in small quantities,and exported them to Japan),the Biotope is destroyed now!
Ap.spec. "Jurua " is same as "Jurua Emerald( name of the fish in Japan)

Roland

mimbon.de :D

likmuk

5 Year Member
Wow, Ronald from Mimbon, what a surprise! Seems like my pair of Ap. sp. Jurua are the offsprings of the fish that you collected! (qn: when did you collect them from Cruzeiro?)
If you said the the whole population in Germany originated from them, that means that there had been multuple if not countless generations of in/line breeding....had the appearance and other characteristics of the fish change much (at least some forms of undesirable recessive phenotypes much have surfaced right?) It would be really wonderful if i can get a look of the parent fishes!
My other qn...RVA (japan) seems to carry quite a few specimens of Ap. Sp Jurua which are supposed to be wild (i thought they are rarely collected from the wild), they look very different from mine in terms of coloration esp that they do not have the transverse black band across the body..?

M

Mimbon

Hi

Yes, I have a pic from the male collected in 1998, must check if I could find it.
Unfortunally I don´t the sourse of RVA fishes,but as I said before,for a second time wild ones had been collected,and I think from an other locality than mine, maybe they are different.
But several breeders,here in germany produced them some years ago,and depending on the waterquality and food,the look different!
Only 1or 2 good breeders can produce the very good colors!
( the wild ones doesn´t have this nice colors,and the red extended fins!)

Roland

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….