• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Incorrect cockatoo ID?

KittyKat

5 Year Member
This fish isn't actually a cockatoo, is it? It is currently being used as the main photo for the cockatoo article on Wikipedia.. if someone could confirm (or not) my suspicions, that would be very helpful as I would then be happier replacing it (or not!).

Apistogramma_cacatuoides.jpg

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Hi there,

That is an Apistogramma cacatuoides, so ID is correct. It's just not as strongly coloured/marked as the domestic triple/double reds/oranges that we normally see.

Andrew

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree with you, Andrew. It's a poor representative of the species, probably a poorly colored Orange Flash domestic strain. It definitely would be better to have a photo of at least 1 wild specimen.

I wouldn't take on faith anything on Wikipedia unless you know the background of the author. Anyone can write to Wiki. Some will be good and some will be garbage (or worse!). Knowledgeable people can contest the information of course. But if more people agree with the erroneous data than that which is correct, the wrong information remains. It's not worth the effort to correct every error by professionals or experienced enthusiasts. They would spend too much of their time trying to correct misinformation and old wife's tales. They have better thing to do, I'm sure.

KittyKat

5 Year Member
Thanks for the help guys.

Mike, if I come across something which I am not sure of when I have a few minutes spare, I will usually see what I can do.. But you are right, trying to correct everything is, unfortunately, a waste of time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….