• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Impatient about my Apistos

M

My Pritz

Hi everyone!

I'm really glad I found this forum. I have to tell you that I'm getting really impatient with my A. Cacatuoides. About 3 months ago, I got a male and 3 females for my planted 20 gallon tank. They were pretty small to beginwith and they haven't grown very much at all. They're hovering around 2.75-3 inches. Also, the male always looks a little on the skinny side. He acts completely normal, swimming around and flirting with the ladies, but he seems to be a picky eater. I've tried flakes, frozen brine and plankton, but nothing seems to do it for him. Has anyone else run into this situation?

I had really high hopes with raising Cacatuoides, but I'm getting a little discouraged. Anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
Pritz,

If you want to try Grindal Worms, I'll set up a starter culture for you. Let me get it going for a week or two and we can meet up at Byerly's or Aquarium Adventure. Grindals might be a bit small for adult apistos, but it might be enough to get him to eat a little more eagerly.

3" is about all the bigger the males are going to get. Females tend to run a little smaller.

3 Central Ohio Members now!!!

M

My Pritz

Cichlids1--

That would be awesome! I've never tried Grindal worms before, I'm sure they would help. What is involved in raising them?

BTW, I don't think they'd be too small for them. I overestimated their sizes--they're more like 1.5-1.75 inches.

Neil

My Pritz,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

There may be more to it than food. What parameters do you have in the tank and what is your maint. schedule?
Neil

aspen

5 Year Member
i have had fish that looked like that and they didn't last long. it is not that healthy. you can try to treat him with metronodiazonal (hex-a-mit) in a hospital tank as per instructions and try and fatten him up.

rick

M

My Pritz

Well, I just tested my water. My Ammonia and trite are 0, pH is 7.4, GH 13, and KH 5. I should probably soften it and lower the pH, right? I have a water softening pillow that has done the trick in the past, do you suggest anything else that will safely lower the pH? I also have a CO2 activator that needs re-activated, which should help.

As for my maint schedule, I do a 1/3 water change once a week with dechlorinated tap water.

I'm afraid that it's an internal parasite, but I'm not sure that's the case. You see, I've had him for three months and he's pretty much always been skinny. The females were also skinny, but now they have a normal shape to them. In addition, no other fish seem to be affected. If it is a parasite, would Discomed be a suitable remedy? In case you're not familiar, Discomed is a mix os Levamisol, NaCl, Piprazine, Magnesium Sulfate and Neomycin Sulfate. According to the package, it's "specific for discus, oscars, angels, and all wild fish with symptoms/causes: concaved abdomen, skinny body, darkened body, internal worms, capillaria, hexamita"

Thanks in advance,
Becki

Neil

Becki,

I don't think that the water parameters are your problem, but if you want softer water, I would go with store-bought RO water or a small RO unit. I don't know much about water softening pillows, but I can almost guarantee that they will be more trouble than the above suggestion. In reality, for cacatuoides, I don't think that you really have to do much fiddling.
I can't give you much feedback on medicating for internal parasites, because I am not nearly as versed on meds as many of the other members here. However, I would suggest reposting your pic and request for advice in the Health Forum.
Good luck,
Neil

2la

5 Year Member
I second rick's recommendation of a treatment with Hex-a-mit or Discomed. Judging by that picture it looks to be infested, especially if the eye is chronically blackened as it appears in the picture.

aspen

5 Year Member
becki, i am not a fan of using 'shotgun meds' ie med mixtures designed to cure all problems, although, i have never tried disco-med. i do know that for intestinal flagellates, which seem to be what COULD be affecting your fish, hexamit is a tried and true med.

if this doesn't seem to have the effect after a proper course of treatment, i would then try to de-worm, using piperazine, praziquantal or panacur.

imo, meds used on their own seem to have much lighter effect on the overall health of the fish. always use lots of aeration when using most (why not all) meds, and follow directions religiously. i would treat all of the fish in contact with these fish at the same time, and use a separate bucket and syphon for a while. intestinal flagellates move from fish to fish through feces, and apistos and most fish pick at the feces on the botom of the tank.

i would not bother playing with water parms till you are getting the fish into spawning shape. lowering parms when ready can help them to feel like spawning, and keep them from spawning when not ready.

good luck and keep us posted, rick

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….