• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

i'm a little concerned

cubsfan

5 Year Member
I recently moved into a new apartment, and am very near to setting up a 29 gallon aquarium, which I wanted to stock with a trio of cacatuides. I am cycling the filter on another tank, and putting the finishing touches on the stand. Because I was unsure of the water quality I have access too, I did some basic tests on the water out of the tap. The readings I got were: pH ~ 7.5-8.0, GH ~ 10, and KH ~6 :? . From my understanding, apistos like soft, acidic water. Now, I was planning on using a DIY CO2 system on the tank, so I know that that should take care of the higher than desired pH, but I don't know what to do about the hardness. Would cacatuides be ok in this water? If not, are there any apistos that would? Otherwise, any alternate stocking suggestions would be appreciated. :)

aspen

5 Year Member
>>'Would cacatuides be ok in this water?'

they will breed with limited success, and will probably do ok otherwise. my water is simiilar to yours and they did fine with me.

rick

Owen

5 Year Member
Just curious, what are you measuring your KH and GH in? I thought a standard measure was ppm (mg/L). My KH is 70ppm and my GH is 80ppm. How does that convert to your scale?

Fatts

5 Year Member
Owen, Hardness is typically described in German degrees in the US. 1 degree of hardness is about 17.9 ppm. So GH of 10 is ~ 179ppm and KH of 6 is ~ 107.4 ppm. I honestly believe when dealing with dwarf acaras EC is still a much better measure to use, since the fish need very pure water.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….