• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID two apistogramma's

Erik82

5 Year Member
Hi All,
Last week i bought about 40 apisto's. Some are already quite in size. I have probably a male A. sp breitbinden, and probably a lot of A. iniridae / A. blutkehl and perhaps A. uapesi. Most are still very small.

Below two fishes which I am not sure what species they are:

This Female (Apistogramma sp breitbinden??) has not a round tale, it looks like she gets a forked tail.
apisogrammaspdamebewerkt2.jpg

apisogrammaspdamebewerkt.jpg

Male Apistogramma iniridea/ blutkehl?
apisogrammasp008bewerkt.jpg

apisogrammasp001bewerkt.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The female is a brevis-group species. It probably is A. sp. Breitbinden. Females of Breitbinden develop a squared-off/truncate caudal fin. With age some even develop very short tips (like A. cacatuoides females). The lower photos are young male A. iniridae. The tail is round. At the same age/size that your fish appears to be, Blutkehl males will show a square-off/truncated caudal fin. With age the dorsal fin on your A. iniridae male will become higher.

Erik82

5 Year Member
Hi Mike,
thanks for your answers! Nice to hear the female is probably a A. sp breitbinden. I have only one male sp Breitbinden. It would be nice if they wil breed together.

Erik82

5 Year Member
This one should be a A. sp blutkehl right?

IMG_0481_2.jpg

THis fish is swimming at my brothers place. He bought also a couple apistogramma out a collection wild cought.

Erik82

5 Year Member
Hi All,
i got a question about the caudal fin of the females A. sp blutkehl and A. uaupesi. Do they have a square-off/truncated caudal fin?

With the answer to this question i might be able to select de A. inirideas, male and females, from my collection apistogrammas

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
One can use the shape of the tail, once the fish are mature (5 cm TL):

A. iniridae - and young female A. uaupesi & sp. Blutkehl - show a round caudal fin.

Mature female A. uaupesi & sp. Blutkehl show a squared-off/truncated caudal fin. Some develop short tips when older.

Erik82

5 Year Member
THanks Mike! So it's smart to sepperate the fish with squared-off/truncated caudal fins. They are definitely not A. iniridae. MAby blutkehl, otherwise perhaps uaupesi.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, that would work best. BTW Blutkehl is not commercially imported. Most are brought in by hobbyists who collect them or the enter mixed as rare (1 or 2) contaminants with A. iniridae. Good luck!

Erik82

5 Year Member
I know Mike, thats why i would like to breed them for the hobby ;-)

But some of the apisto's i got have a disease, i don´t know what it is. At/ behind the head some infection increases, like pus. It´s yellowish/ white and is soft. I dont know what it is and if its affective for the other fishes, someone got any idea? And most of all how to get my apisto's health again?

Erik82

5 Year Member
Yesterday i borrowed a Digital SLR Camera from a friend. Finaly i got some pictures of the unidentifed Apistogramma's. I did not have the time to filter and finish all the photo's. Here a prefiew. I'm currious if someone can identify these fishes.

Apistogramma sp ???
apistogrammaspblutkehlmale30-03-201.jpg

apistogrammaspblutkehlmale230-03-20.jpg

Apistogramma sp breitbinden male?
apistogrammaspbreitbindenmale30-03-.jpg

Apistogramma sp ???
Apspbas.jpg

Greetz,
Erik

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
I know Mike, thats why i would like to breed them for the hobby ;-)

But some of the apisto's i got have a disease, i don´t know what it is. At/ behind the head some infection increases, like pus. It´s yellowish/ white and is soft. I dont know what it is and if its affective for the other fishes, someone got any idea? And most of all how to get my apisto's health again?

Erik, I want to know if there´s anything that flows from the yellowish area.

Besides, have you open the wound of any dead fish?

There´s something with a very similar description that affects wild fish from our area (Argentina). I saw it mainly in borellii and commbrae (wildcaught ones, I mean). It´s a metacercaria.

Is there any chance to see a photo?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Erik, based on what I can see in the photos, it appears that you have A. uaupesi (photos 1, 2, & 4). The color markings on the face of the top fish is only a variation. It is seen on some specimens of A. uaupesi from the Río Vaupés (Amazon system of Colombia) and tributaries of the upper Orinoco of Colombia & Venezuela. Photo 3 shows a young male A. sp. Breitbinden.

Erik82

5 Year Member
Thanks again Mike, im not sure where these fishes are collected, if i'am right, they are collected in the area of Iniridae. Ill come to that later on.

But you think the first two(same fish) and the last one are uaupesi? Both males or the last a female? When i'am looking to the caudal fins, the one of picture 1 and 2 is much longer then the one of last picture. Is this the different between female and male?

@ Jose, there was nothing flowing around this area. Also i did not opened the wound. I had this before, then indeed with a A. borelli.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
These are young fish. I believe that both A. uaupesi are young males, but I definitely could be wrong. More photos of the bottom fish in different moods would be helpful. Adult females of A. uaupesi will have a lower dorsal fin, rounded tips on the dorsal and anal fins, show a lateral spot more often than a lateral band, have only short tips on the rear of the caudal fin and the spot pattern in the caudal will be much less distinct. Females are also smaller.

Mark

5 Year Member
Hi Mike (and others),

what do you think about the status of these species? Are these all different species? And the colorforms of the uaupesi, are they just colorforms or might they be species on their own?
In my opinion they are different species, but I heard that in Germany there is some discussion saying the blutkehl is just a colorform of the uaupesi. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that in the future the uaupesi will be separated into more than one species.

Mark

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….