• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID 2 -A. cf. eunotus "orange-tail" A75 again

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
This pair (again, very prolific) was sold as "A. Huallaga" when they´re less than 1 inch (2 cm., actually). First I thought -because of the name- they could be A. atahualpa; but, once more, I think they are A. cf. eunotus "orange-tail" A75 (as the previous pair I showed some days ago).

Pair:

fotos3011.jpg

Male:

fotos3128.jpg

fotos3130.jpg

Female in normal dress:

fotos3057.jpg

Female in breeding dress:

fotos3184.jpg

What do you think?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My guess is that they are the A. cf. eunotus form from the Río Huallaga (home to A. rositae, not A. atahualpa). It is slightly different from the Orange-tail form from the Iquitos area.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
There really isn't much difference between the 2 populations:
A. cf. eunotus Huallaga has a slightly narrower, more oval, caudal spot while A. cf. eunotus Orangeschwanz has a more round caudal spot.
A. cf. eunotus Huallaga doesn't have the dark operculum typically seen on A. cf. eunotus Orangeschwanz.

I can't say that they are different species, but appear to be different populations of A. cf. eunotus.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Good grief! I really messed this one up! I took a look at TomC's web site where there are photos of the Huallaga form (http://apisto.sites.no/fish.aspx?fishIndexID=2484&gruppeID=1). It seems like the Huallaga form has a few stripes in the tail and the scales in the middle of the lateral band are lighter than the edges.

Jose's fish probably are a population of A. cf. eunotus Orangeschwanz, just with lighter gill covers.

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
Mike, now (with your last post), I totally agreed with you.

I'd been reading Tom's web (excellent site, indeed) and I saw that the Huallaga for of A. cf. eunotus he shows it's different but I thought that you're talking about another "Huallaga form" (you know, "if Mike says anything, he must be right"). ;)

One last question, what do you think of mixing this "clear form" with the "tipical form"? (in both cases, I'm talking about A75).

Thanks again.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
(you know, "if Mike says anything, he must be right"). :)

BAD IDEA! Just ask my wife!:biggrin: Seriously, I make many mistakes. I, contrary to some people I know, am willing to admit it.

One last question, what do you think of mixing this "clear form" with the "tipical form"? (in both cases, I'm talking about A75).

If they were mine, I wouldn't mix them. If I produced fry from such a mix, all I could call them is "A. cf. eunotus Mixed Form".

Microman

5 Year Member
"Quote Mike"
Seriously, I make many mistakes. I, contrary to some people I know,am willing to admit it.

I think i can guess what you mean Mike. Very true indeed.
Mark.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….