• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ich and Spawn?

Fred

5 Year Member
I got a pair of Apistogramma Agassazii. For approx 3 1/2 weeks, everything was good. They apeared interested in each other. I was gone for a 4 days, and when I got back they had ick. Over the next 3 weeks I have given them 3 treatements with Ick Clear from Tank Buddies. It contains victoria green and acriflavine. The ick almost goes away between treatments and then comes back.

The strange part is that now (with ick) they appear to have spawned. The female has been in the flower pot for about 4 days now. She pokes her head out the front now and then but won't come out. Her ick doesn't look to bad right now.

Her color has changed through. Before the trip to the flower pot, she was bright yellow, but had the dark line down her body. Now that line has faded quite a bit.

You can't see up into the flower pot they way it is situated, and I have not moved it to inspect. I suspect I probably need to get the eggs out of that tank becuase of the ick, but so far have choosen not to bother anything.

What do you guys think. Should I get them out now (assuming eggs exist once I check). It seems very strange for fish to spawn when they are not healty.

As far as water conditions, I have done weekly 30 - 40% water changes with GH between 3 and 5. PH between 6 - 6.3

Recommendations?

fishgeek

increased temperature and very cautious usage of salt may help along side the medications you have already used

not sure how the salt will affect the egg's though your parents will spawn again if you can rid them of their ailment

in particularly soft waters some medications need to be used at higher dose's , have a read through your medications literature and see whether this may be the case

otherwise i would be incleined to go to 29 degree's celsius and start adding salt and medication

with ich you are only killing the free swimming life stages and 3 course of treatment(at these temperature) should be spaced 5 days apart

andrew

Fred

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advise. Will raise temperature today. How much salt should be added?

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
The heat and salt advice is the same as I would give. I would not add a lot.. no more than a tsp. per ten gallons.

The advice I would add is that the spawn is not the important consideration in this instance. The fish will spawn again and probably be more successful for having better health. Don't worry about the effects of the chemicals on the eggs.

AdamT

5 Year Member
I had ich in a 30ga that I couldn't quite shake. I did repeated medicine runs, to no avail.

I eventually cleared it out with Kent Vita and a garlic suppliment (I've read somewhere that ich hates the garlic). Long term, I switched to RO water (my nitrates from the tap were high).

I understand that ich is present in non-infestation levels in lots of tanks, but that usually the fish can beat it back. Sometimes their immune systems aren't up to the task. Rather than attack the ich (and stress the fish), I've had more success bolstering the fish.

I don't know if that would help your eggs, or if eggs are even susceptable to ich. But if you're having trouble getting rid of an infestation then this is how I got rid of it in the past.

-Adam

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….