• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I want your opinion - Female 'what'?

Duffmanj

What do you guys think?

Open to the answer being a male, too, I guess...

h5bKkIi.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I can't see many markings helpful for ID. From all I can see, about the only thing I can say is it is a member of the regani-lineage (regani-, alacrina- & macmasteri-groups) and possibly a male. Any information you got when you bought it would be helpful, as would size.

Duffmanj

Sure thing - was sold as a female hongsloi, I bought a pair (male and female).

The male I have is hongsloi (pic below), but been suspicious about what I actually have here. It would explain the male's behaviour (he hides away) and I've been trying to work out what's wrong with him for ages.

Anything I could give you which might help more? Desperate to solve the mystery! They don't fight at all - occasionally he displays but isn't very passionate about it.

Hupm4KQ.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I could be A. hongsloi, a macmasteri-group species. Unlike most mac-group species, A. hongsloi doesn't have the zig-zag border on the lateral band. Instead is shows more even borders with a ladder-like pattern of light and dark scales in the central part. Based on size (compared to pencilfish), I'd guess that it's a female base on the rounded soft dorsal & anal fin tips. It's a domestic color enhanced strain, so females sometimes show male colors.

Duffmanj

Sorry mike - having a slow sunday - which pic are you referring to, first or second? The first is of the female second is of the male...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The first might be a female. It's hard to say without seeing the fish or many more photos of it in different moods. Based on my guess of size and the shape of the fins, it a fair guess that it is a female. I'm also assuming its A. hongsloi. The second is a male.

Duffmanj

Thank you Mike. Working on getting some more pictures for you, but out of interest - would a female (of approximately the same age and of the same strain) ever get bigger than a male under the same circumstances, i.e. assuming they're both eating well/free of disease?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Probably not, but it really depends on how the male and female were selected. In macmasteri-group species, just like humans, there males are usually larger and more robustly built than females. You might have gotten one of the smaller males and larger females.

Duffmanj

True! Figured it might be a bit like that.

A few more pictures below, perhaps they'll help!

gRas00B.jpg

aV4Ex66.jpg

zh8Evca.jpg

FRXBJC2.jpg

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….