• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Identifying wild viejitas

PistUp

Hey everyone,

I bought these fish last week from Sims Tropical. They are meant to be a wild caught viejita pair, though I’m sceptical after all the reading I’ve done.

Mac Z kindly helped on my intro post and identified these as Domestic Macs (red shoulders).

Before I complain to the seller, please may you knowledgable experts kindly provide a second opinion by identifying the genus and letting me know whether I’ve defo got a male and female?

Sorry if they’re not the best pics, they’re not very good at posing for the camera lol

Regards,

Alex

Attachments

• IMG_7313.jpeg
    IMG_7313.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7314.jpeg
    IMG_7314.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_7315.jpeg
    IMG_7315.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 63

PistUp

macmasteri, as stated above. viejita pic attached. Note the red trimmed dorsal fin, and the solid zig-zag lateral band.
Thank you for clarifying. I shall make my complaint, I really wanted wild fish so pretty annoyed about this. Any ideas on the sex of my fish?

PistUp

At least it's a male/female combination.

I stick with my (species/breed) ID, definitively A. macmasteri.
Thank you again Mac. I appreciate you confirming the sex. May I ask why you stick to Macs and what the benefits of are of this breed over say viejitas?

MacZ

The female has quite a strong reddish tint and more face markings than I ever have seen in wild (type) ones.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
Thank you again Mac. I appreciate you confirming the sex. May I ask why you stick to Macs and what the benefits of are of this breed over say viejitas?
By "stick to," Mac is saying that he's 100% confident in the species ID. They are macmasteri, for sure.

Apistogramma viejita is not a breed, but a species. They are virtually impossible to source at the moment and never available for general sale.

I don't believe there's a "benefit" to having either species, really. It just depends on what you like. Many people seem obsessed with wanting to know whether their macmasteri are actually viejita, presumably because true viejita are so rare. In such cases, the fish are always macmasteri.

There is no intrinsic value to viejita over macmasteri. If someone bred and distributed viejita such that anyone could get them, they would have no extra value. Just like Apistogramma sp. Alto Tapiche, pictured in my avatar. Very difficult to collect in the wild, due to the catch location. Several breeders distributed them locally in the States, and now they are 1/10 the price. Beautiful fish. But when "value" is determined by supply and demand, it's essentially meaningless.

PistUp

The female has quite a strong reddish tint and more face markings than I ever have seen in wild (type) ones.
Thank you for your input guys. Now I can be sure of the variant and gender, and that they are probably tank bred

PistUp

By "stick to," Mac is saying that he's 100% confident in the species ID. They are macmasteri, for sure.

Apistogramma viejita is not a breed, but a species. They are virtually impossible to source at the moment and never available for general sale.

I don't believe there's a "benefit" to having either species, really. It just depends on what you like. Many people seem obsessed with wanting to know whether their macmasteri are actually viejita, presumably because true viejita are so rare. In such cases, the fish are always macmasteri.

There is no intrinsic value to viejita over macmasteri. If someone bred and distributed viejita such that anyone could get them, they would have no extra value. Just like Apistogramma sp. Alto Tapiche, pictured in my avatar. Very difficult to collect in the wild, due to the catch location. Several breeders distributed them locally in the States, and now they are 1/10 the price. Beautiful fish. But when "value" is determined by supply and demand, it's essentially meaningless.
Apologies, I misunderstood the comment. Thanks for the heads up around viejitas not being available and the situation around wild catching. I liked the pictures I had seen of the viejitas online, though it sounds like they were pictures of macs anyway. I’ll speak to the vendor and explain I feel a bit mislead and feel I overpaid; but I’ll stick with my fish, they’re beautiful and displaying wonderful behaviour which is what counts at the end of the day

PistUp

Wrong. This looks exactly like my Red-shoulder Macs from the 1980s. This is a wildcaught male.
View attachment 14161
Wow, thanks for sharing this! I stand amongst Jedis

The only thing I would say is that the red on my Mac is definitely more solid, though I am attempting to condition him and he is putting on a real show so I guess he may be displaying breeding colours? The red on the fish in the picture you provided is more speckled.

Does this mean much if anything?

MacZ

Wrong. This looks exactly like my Red-shoulder Macs from the 1980s. This is a wildcaught male.
I stand corrected if you say they might be wild caught. (Although I was completely going by the female's colours.)

Also the excessive use of the word "mac" is confusing me. :D

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Wow, thanks for sharing this! I stand amongst Jedis

The only thing I would say is that the red on my Mac is definitely more solid, though I am attempting to condition him and he is putting on a real show so I guess he may be displaying breeding colours? The red on the fish in the picture you provided is more speckled.

Does this mean much if anything?
This is a male from the same export that won 3d place in the ACA national cichlid show in 1983. That male had more red. The colors in wild specimen tend to be more variable than in line-bred strains.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….