• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How many species per tank?

Raul-7

5 Year Member
I really like Apisto's...and it's really hard to just stick with one species. But why is it bad to have two different species in a tank? Is it because of cross-breeding or just aggression problems? Is their a gallon-rule for how many different Apisto's you can keep?

Randall

5 Year Member
Mixing Apistogramma species

Dear Raul,

It's not a bad thing to mix Apistogramma species so long as their tank is large enough. Each pair should have approximately one square foot in which a breeding territory can be established; or, roughly, the footprint of a 10-gallon tank. With the more aggressive species, i.e, nijsseni-group species, the territories should be even larger to preclude social issues between pairs.

There are probably a number of highly skilled hobbyists (like Neil Lilliedoll) who have success with smaller spaces per pair, but I think the above is a pretty good rule of thumb.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Neil

There are probably a number of highly skilled hobbyists (like Neil Lilliedoll) who have success with smaller spaces per pair, but I think the above is a pretty good rule of thumb.

Agreed! Although many apisto species can and have been spawned in tight quarters, it is wise to follow the above rule (as a minimum!). As far as keeping different species in the same tank, one must also be aware of specific characteristics of each species, like the morphology and disposition, etc. Keeping 2 aggressive species in one tank may be easier than 1 aggressive and one passive species. It is also helpful to keep similar-looking species apart also. Not only because of any potential crossbreeding, but also because of their potential for increased aggression.
The personalities of individual specimens or pairs can even come into play here. I have had extremely mellow A. panduro (a species in the nijsenni-complex mentioned by Randall above) that were gentle to each other and to other apistos in the tank. But, I have also had panduro that didn't tolerate any other fish in the tank and made life miserable for everyone, including tetra.
IMO when you mix apisto species in a smaller tank (24"+), you need to know the species pretty well and have a good idea how they are going to react to one another, but be humble enough to realize that you can't know them well enough to not have a spare tank ready for one of them when things don't work out. :wink:

Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
natrickshwaxey

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….