• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How many dwarf's

Gene

5 Year Member
I have a 10gallon with 8 plants a bubble stone and filter .My water is a little brown from peat.I also have 10 whiteclouds 3 H rasboras, 1 dwarf gourami 1 killi, 1corycat 1small plecoand 2 very small shrimp.So far my water quality is really good no problems.I would like to add 1more killi 2 more cats and 1or2 more dwarf gouramis gradually and maybe some really short plants.After that wait and see how things go for a week and add two rams and two Apisto's thats it. Too much or what and right now my temp is at 75f should I raise it before adding the dwarf cichlids.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Hi Gene and welcome. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I think you probably already have more fish then is healthy, particularly if it is 10US gallons?

In 10 gallons I would only keep the WCM, or a pair of Gouramis or the Raspboras (you need 5 or 6). Cory cats shouldn't be kept on their own really, and we would need to know about the plec? only Otocinclus are really suitable for a tank that small, and they need very careful looking after, and aren't really a beginners fish. The same with the Killifish, what is it?

If you wanted to keep dwarf cichlids 10 gallon is pretty well the smallest volume you could have, but they would need to be a pair on their own, or with a few small dithers.

cheers Darrel

Gene

5 Year Member
How many dwarfs

Could I drop 4 white clouds and add 3 more H. rasboras.How many fish could I keep with this setup?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Could I drop 4 white clouds and add 3 more H. rasboras. How many fish could I keep with this setup?
Potentially you could, it wouldn't be ideal as Harlequin Raspboras need much warmer water than WCM.

In 10 gallons I would keep the 10 WCM or 6 Raspboras, and just the Shrimp (Red cherry shrimp may be able to maintain their population if it is a heavily planted tank), there would be no problems with Amano shrimp.

People may tell you can stock more heavily, and this is true in the short term, but you need to think about how stressed the fish will become if they are over-crowded, and also how resilient your system is.

Well established, lightly stocked, over filtered (we mainly use large sponge filters), planted tanks with some biofilm are very stable, and events like a filter failing, or even the un-observed death of an inhabitant do not cause the catastrophic crashes that occur when you are more heavily stocked.

cheers Darrel

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I should also have put some links into web sites which offer good advice.
These are ApistoBob's web pages, Bob is a member here and they offer excellent advice. <http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Aquarium_care.php>

Another good source is the "Skeptical Aquarist", Brett doesn't up date them very often, but they are very interesting, read all the pages they are all worth reading. <http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/docs/startover/startover.shtml>.

As it is not easy to search this forum at present, I'd also recommend "Apistomaster's" postings on Planet Catfish. As his name might imply Larry is also a member here and again full of experience and good advice. Search for "Apistomaster" on the Corydoras, Loricarid and "Tanktalk" forums. You need to be a member but it is well worth joining.
<http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/>

There is also an article I wrote on the processes that effect "aeration and oxygenation in the aquarium". It is at present on Plecoplanet but you can access it without being a member.

<http://plecoplanet.com/?page_id=829>

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….