• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How do you pronounce "gibbiceps"?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I would like to know raymond82's opinion of Nijssen. I think I'd believe a native (Dutch) speaker over a web-based source that may or may not be edited for accuracy. As for the pronunciation of Latin words, I rely on my high school Latin book for proper pronunciation (almost as old as Rome itself!:D). An '-i' suffix is pronounced as a long 'i'. In Latin a long 'i' is pronounced like the 'i' in 'police' or the 'ea' in 'seat'. As much as I respect Dr. Innes (his book Exotic Aquarium Fishes still sits with my more modern books in my 'primary fish references' bookcase), but he isn't pronouncing Latin properly. Like I said before, it really doesn't matter that much, as long as we know which species we are talking about.

raymond82

EDIT -- I just noticed that "Pronounce How" gives the "English" pronunciation of words (whether the word is English or other languages), so that may toss "Nee-EYE-son" out the window.

That must be the explanation for it, although Nijssen is not a very common name I'm sure it's pronounced with the emphasis on the first syllable. Actually, as a general rule I think dutch words are pronounced with the emphasis on the first syllable.

The combination of i and j is pronounced (roughly) as eye, but it's more like the i in iron. So basically, ij is pronounced like the letter i in English... I notice now it's not so easy to write phonetic English for a non-native speaker, especially when explaining dutch pronunciation...

With respect to the i at the end of Latin, in dutch the letter i itself is pronounced like the i in police, that's why we pronounce the i at the end like Mike suggested as ee. I never really doubted that that is the right way to pronounce it, but I never took Latin in school and I never met a native speaker... However, Italians pronounce the i like also like the i in police I think.

So: it's NYE sen ee. It's actually funny, cause since my girlfriend is Spanish we speak English at home and I used to pronounce nijsseni as neye SAY nee (they were a present form my girlfriend and my first ever apisto's, also the first fish I ever bred). Until I was at a fish market here in Holland and people didn't understand what I was talking about... ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….