• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How is "Apistogramma hoignei" pronounced ?

Melanochromis

There are many Apistogramma names I'm not sure how to pronounce but "hoignei" is probably one of the most difficult. Although I found out that it was named after Mr. Leo Hoigne, I still have no clue how his family name is pronounced !

Any help is appreciated.
:)

steve1572

Join the club I have got to one of the worst at pronouncing Apistogramma names its shocking and a joke between
friends is there any online tool that can help

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
If the name ends in 'i' or 'ae', then the fish is named after a person and should be pronounced in the way that person's name is pronounced. A. hoignei should be pronounced hoyn-eye (in the USA) or hoyn-eee (as the Europeans do).

Melanochromis

Next time anyone gives a cichlid a scientific name, please be kind enough to give the intended pronunciation!! Seriously, this could save a lot of headaches and communication problems.

Imagine if you live in a country like mine where people are generally not good at English and have zero knowledge in Latin. Each person comes up with an unbelievably weird way to call each fish, and at the end we end up embarrassing each other or, more likely, ourselves.

Melanochromis

If the name ends in 'i' or 'ae', then the fish is named after a person and should be pronounced in the way that person's name is pronounced. A. hoignei should be pronounced hoyn-eye (in the USA) or hoyn-eee (as the Europeans do).

That sheds some light for me. Thank you. :biggrin:

I wonder if you happen to know if Mr. Leo Hoigne was American or from some other country?

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
or hoyn-eee (as the Europeans do). -----You sure this aint someone from the Bronx saying they need a date??????

Uwe says Hoig-nye

viejo

5 Year Member
If the surname is pronounced Hoy-nee (which I have always assumed) the patronym would then be 'Hoy-nee-eye'...

Melanochromis

I found out that this family name is also spelled "Hoigné", perhaps pointing to a European origin.

What if Mr. Leo Hoigne was French or some other European that didn't pronounce "Hoigné" the same way English-speaking people do? Does this mean we should guess how Mr. Leo Hoigne pronounced his family name?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Leo Hoigne collected this fish in 1964 in Venezuela. Meinken's description of A. hoignei doesn't list Hoigne's nationality, but my guess is that he was an immigrant from one of the German-speaking countries. I doubt that he was a European, because Hoigne originally sent the specimens to Albert Klee, an American hobbyist, instead of to Europe. David's pronunciation is the most accurate. The Latin masculine possessive suffex "i" is pronounced as a long e (ē). The "e" in Hoigne's name is most closely pronounced as "-eh" in American English. Therefore, the proper pronunciation for "hoignei" is hoy-neh'-ee. I usually say hoy-ne-i myself, but I am wrong. Old habits die hard. ;-)

Melanochromis

Leo Hoigne collected this fish in 1964 in Venezuela. Meinken's description of A. hoignei doesn't list Hoigne's nationality, but my guess is that he was an immigrant from one of the German-speaking countries. I doubt that he was a European, because Hoigne originally sent the specimens to Albert Klee, an American hobbyist, instead of to Europe. David's pronunciation is the most accurate. The Latin masculine possessive suffex "i" is pronounced as a long e (ē). The "e" in Hoigne's name is most closely pronounced as "-eh" in American English. Therefore, the proper pronunciation for "hoignei" is hoy-neh'-ee. I usually say hoy-ne-i myself, but I am wrong. Old habits die hard. ;-)

Thank you, Mike. Hoy-neh-ee it is !

Can I ask how the Latin suffix "ae" (as in A. elizabethae or A. Rositae) should be pronounced? And is "ae" in these names, which seem to be feminine, pronounced the same way as "ae" in Cichlidae?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The Latin feminine possessive "ae" is also pronounced as a long e (ē). Think of the word 'alga' (a single specimen of a single-cell photosynthetic organism). When we discuss more than a single organism we say 'algae'. Makes it simple to remember!

Melanochromis

The Latin feminine possessive "ae" is also pronounced as a long e (ē). Think of the word 'alga' (a single specimen of a single-cell photosynthetic organism). When we discuss more than a single organism we say 'algae'. Makes it simple to remember!

Thank you! That's good to know.

I know I keep asking more and more about pronunciation, but if it's not too much, can I ask how "Miua" (as in Apistogramma sp. "Miua") is pronounced? This fish arrived in Bangkok several times already and we are still not sure how to say its name.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
'Miua' is a location name from the Igarapé Miuá near São Gabriel do Cocheira, Brazil in the upper Rio Negro. Brazilians would pronounce it as " Me-oo-ah' ".

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member

Mike I think he was Hungarian

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Bit off topic, but in my day job there is a plant usually referred to as either "Molly the witch" or "that yellow Paeony, you know the one I mean", the reason for this is that its scientific name is Paeonia mlokosewitschii. Some-one has told me that this is properly pronounced as "Loko sevit sky eye", but I've never been brave enough to find out.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….