1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hole in the head?

Discussion in 'Apistogramma' started by Spidy, Dec 3, 2019 at 5:30 PM.

1. Spidy

Spidy New Member

Is this hole in the head disease, or something else. Only fish affected.

Attached Files:

2. dw1305

dw1305 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Hi all,
    It looks like a physical abrasion, rather than "Hole in the head".

Basically he has head butted something.

It could go either way, but he may well recover if you keep water quality up. I don't use melafix etc., but I add some <"Alder cones">, or Oak leaves, when this sort of thing happens.

cheers Darrel
  3. Spidy

Spidy New Member

Hi Darrel.

Unfortunately it was something far more severe than that. His jaw was also funny and he eventually succumb. Lost another male same weekend. He jumped through the tiniest of gaps. :-(
  4. Ade205

Ade205 Active Member

Just quick note from my experiences with hole in head.

I've been breeding German Rams for many years, I've literally reared thousands of them and as many of you I'm sure are aware, German Rams are extremely susceptible to HIH and other bacterial infection. By far the best solution I've found to rearing Ram fry and keeping adults also alive is UV sterilisation. I don't mean a canister or internal filter with a UV bulb, these past the water way to fast over the UV light, I'm talking about proper UV units that trickle the water over the light extremely slowly exposing algae, bacteria and pathogens to the UV for maximum possible time. Since using such units I have hardly any instances of Hole in head, or indeed Popeye which I've noticed tends to appear in conjunction with hih when you have a large number of fry or juvenile rams in grow out tanks. Before discovering this I would have a batch of fry every so often where bacterial infection would breakout and would be extremely hard to get on top off. Clean water is also vital, but I feel the bacteria once present multiplies to quick to control alone.

As to if the op's fish had hole in head or not, I don't think so but pretty certain bacterial infection was involved, maybe secondary to originally just wounding itself on decor.

Ade.
  5. dw1305

dw1305 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Hi all,
    Sorry to hear that.

Do you know how old he was? Very few of my males have made it much past two years old, probably because I over-feed them and keep them fairly warm. A few of the females have made it to four.

cheers Darrel