• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi Ted .....question....

georgedv

5 Year Member
Hi Ted,
I enjoy your Teds Fishroom shows. Watched them all. I wanted to know what sand/gravel you have in the tank showing your Paranochromis Gabonicus? Is there a name for that type and where did you get yours?

george

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I use white silica sand mixed with number 30 red flint gravel in a ratio of 6 parts sand to one part gravel.

georgedv

5 Year Member
Thanks Ted. I have never seen red flint gravel at places like Lowes or HD. Is it marketedpackaged in a different name, or is red flint available thru some kind of specialty stores?

thanks

g

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think it is very regional to the upper midwest. It is quarried here in Wisconsin. An fine, dark gravel will do.

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
My LFS actually gets their gravel from Eau Claire, Wisconsin, from a company called Red Flint Sand and Gravel Co. Their site is http://www.redflint.com/. I'm sure that you could try contacting them and seeing if they ship, or your LFS can get in contact with them. They 50# bags were $15.00 or so each. Kinda pricey, but it seems to be really nice stuff. Grains of this particular size are no larger than 1/8th of an inch. Not too big, not too small. Mixing it with sand is a good idea. Probably saves some money!

DSCN2673.jpg

DSCN2674.jpg

georgedv

5 Year Member
Unfortunatly all the lfs that we had in the upstate of sc have closed their doors. I don't know if it was the economy or the big box stores...thanks for the info Ted and slimbolen99.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….