• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi guys! I'm looking for some stocking suggestions for a 29 gal!

Sicklidae

Hi! I got a 29 gal as a present, and I'm looking for some suggestions. I've only ever kept bolivian rams and angelfish, and I'm looking to possibly keep some other kinds of cichlids for a change. Also, some tank mates suitable for the other cichlids. Thanks!

briztoon

5 Year Member
What cichlids are available at your LFS? That's where I would start. Find out what is available to you, research if they are suitable for a 29 gallon tank (it's always helpfull to mention your tanks footprint as well as gallonage), find out what type of aquascape they require, basically everything involved in caring for them.

Tank mates will be dictated by what cichlid you end up going with.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I am partial to Dicrossus filamentosus. They have a lot going for them and one thing that makes them well suited for a standard 29H is that if you provide a lot of structure in the form of wood, roots and plants, D. filamentosus utilize the mid zone of the water column even spawning well off the bottom. In this respect they are very Different from the typical ground hugging Apistogramma.

Nearly all of those sold in the USA are wild caught specimens and online they are often available for as little as US$4.00 each. I have found them in shops at between $6.00 and $8.00 each but regardless of where you find them they are a bargain and are among the most beautifully colored Dwarf Cichlids when kept in correct water chemistry, very soft and rather acidic conditions. 50 ppm TDS, pH 5.0 to 6.4 and 80 to 84*F.
They are usually easy to breed although many females are quick to eat their spawn but when they don't and provide good brood care you can pat your self on the back for your luck and success. I have never had much success with artificial egg hatching. The eggs, larvae and fry seem to benefit a great deal from the female's care.
In the photos of breeding adults their shiny silvery blue spangles are not as obvious as usual because in this set up I was keeping them in very peat stained water.
Pair
D-3.jpg

Male
D-4.jpg

Female guarding newly laid eggs on top of pot. Notice how the female looses her spots during spawning and develops a stripe?
P5230009.jpg

Those are wild Corydoras weitzmani in some of these shots.

They mix well with small Tetras and small Hypancistrus spp or Peckoltia sp L134, Leopard Frog Plecos.

hydrosparky

5 Year Member
I have never seen Dicrossus species sold at 5 dollars! Most are sold at 10-15 as I know it!!!

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I have never seen Dicrossus species sold at 5 dollars! Most are sold at 10-15 as I know it!!!
Sexable sized D. filamentosus do often run up to $8.00 each at the places I buy them but young wild D. filamentosus are currently available in lots of six for only $33.00 at
http://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51&Itemid=64
I have received a dozen from them of different sizes. My sexable adults were only about $7.50 each.
Other online dealers often have them for as little as $5.00 for the one inch subadults. You just need to shop around.
I like getting fish from http://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51&Itemid=64 because they do such an excellent job of packing fish in the winter. Many places are not very good at packing nor have fish that are in as good of condition as wetspot.
I ship hundreds of my tank raised L134 and L333 plecos across the country every year and I buy all my new fish on line.
One other good source is the aquabid seller, snookn21. Both of these companies maintain large selections at fair prices and have good references.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I buy most of my fish from two dealers who consistently have a large selection and healthy fish.
I have bought adult D. filamentosus for about $7.50 and subadults for a little more than $5.00 from
http://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51&Itemid=64
They currently have subadults for 6/$33.
The other online dealer I like to patronize is
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?justdisp&Snookn21

I buy all my new fish on line. I also sell hundreds of my L134 and L333 plecos on line nationally so I have a lot of experience with being at both ends of a transaction. I know a lot of places I would not recommend to my worst enemy. But you can trust these two vendors.

Bilbo

5 Year Member
The only time I have heard that they were coming into NZ it was rumored to be at $50 each.

I would have bought them too :)

I was told they all died in QT before getting to the shops.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….