• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Here I Go Again

Crazygar

5 Year Member
Ok, ok, back again with an almost 90% confirmation that I have (1) Female Apistogramma gibbiceps. She has been real elusive about getting her picture taken but I can describe the detail nicely;

(a) When stressed out, unlike my other 2 Male Apistogramma, this one turns dark with spots ALL over the body! My Males get the stripes when stressed.
(b) Its a really nice looking "WHITE" colour and really does not get all that dark. "Elton" my smallest of the A.gibbiceps does not molest the fish but puts on rather elaborate displays!
(c) Fins are Dorsal, Caudal and Anal are more rounded than the "Boys".

I am basing the 90% id confirmation on the "almost" white colouration and reverse pattern when stressed as opposed to my Males. Once again, have I finally found the mate for my Apistos?

Gary
BTW:pics to come if I manage to be right there. Extremely active.

Crazygar

5 Year Member
Excuse the image Mike, but this is the fish in question. Not much colouration and usually looks "pale" compared to "Elton" or "Shark" (whom are both A.gibbiceps males).

SparkleApisto.jpg

SparkleApisto2.jpg

Generally when "she" is about, the colour is almost gone and only the black lateral stripe and the line below "her" eye remains. Very limited blue on "her" face and rounded Anal, Caudal and Dorsal fins. Definately sounds like a female but wish to ask those whom have owned (or seen others) these!

Missing is the vertical bars on the stomach region as well. When "she" stresses out (or is stressed out), rather than going to a striped pattern as my Males do, she does a dark olive green with light spots. Its weird actually.

I will aim to get a picture with "her" lacking of colour and stressed out.

Gary

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I hate to say it, but I don't believe that the pictured fish is A. gibbiceps. Your fish as a spotted caudal fin, A. gibbiceps has dark stripes that follow the rays of the tail fin. You fish has rows of abdominal spots. A. gibbiceps has rows of diagonal abdominal streaks (darkened front edges of scales) that can merge to form diagonal abdominal bands. A. gibbiceps is a member of the agassizii-lineage. Like all agassizii-lineage species, A. gibbiceps has a small metallic blue patch on the lips, at the corner of the mouth. I don't see this patch on your fish. The lateral band is much broader than is typical for A. gibbiceps. In my opinion, I believe that you have a species belonging to the pertensis-group, probably A. velifera (aka 4-stripes).

Crazygar

5 Year Member
This is totally unbelievable Mike! I checked out the "The Krib" and here for the profiles, and that fish looks extremely close to the one I have in my 53GAL tank!

When being "chased" by my A.gibbiceps, she (it is a female right?) turns a milky white/grey colour with the lateral line and suborbital line really darkening up! Crap, and I thought for sure I finally nailed down a female!

Let take another guess; A. velifera is a hard to find/get fish!? I've tried a simple search on Google and I do not come across to many hits for this type of Apisto.

Definately has a Lateral spot as its more "central" than a Flank Patch. I'll try and get more pictures.

As someone stated on the web before (I think "The Krib") "Apistos are like a Box of Chocolates"

Gary

Crazygar

5 Year Member
Anthony; tell me that you have some Female A.gibbiceps at your location. If so, I would REALLY LIKE to purchase two.

Secondly; this is totally confusing. This fish was mixed in with some "junk" Apistos (A.gibbiceps in which I own 2 Males) that were literally being sold for as cheap as a common Guppy.

I've been looking at some A.velifera pictures, and I do think that I have a male (AUGH) at best. This is the thing that really gets me with Apistos, when they are small, its hard to ID the suckers. This one was hiding (or spending a good of its time) hiding from the larger and more aggressive A.gibbiceps in the tank.

Gary

A_gibbiceps

5 Year Member
Hi Gary, sorry I don't have any female gibbiceps. I've only got two males left. I've been having a bad year and I've lost a lot of fish. I once bought six tiny apistos which the guy thought were agassizi but I knew were not. Your top pic looks sort of like what I had and they developed into uaupesi/rotkeil. Of which I've only got one incredible male left. The transformation into mature adult apistos is difficult to express into words, just give them good food and the right conditions then wait. But that's probably the reason apistos are overlooked by most. Don't be disappointed, you have to let your fish grow out.
I live in your locality, were did you get your fish from?
Anthony

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….