• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hemichromis spp. with...

R

Rudy P

Hi. In few weeks a 600 liters tank (200cmx50x60) will be in water in my fishroom. I would like make the population around a specie of red Hemichromis.
My question: what tankmates in this tank? Benitochromis, Pelvicachromis, Tilapia joka, Nanochromis? And some dither fishes.
Or red Hemichromis are so agressive and it's better to keep them in a specific tank?

Randall

5 Year Member
Hemichromis sp. tankmates

Hello Rudy,

Surely, Hemichromis sp. can be kept with some larger, more robust western African cichlids until they spawn. Even in larger aquaria, Hemichromis sp. can be so aggressive when breeding that they pose a formidable threat to their tankmates. For this reason, it is best to house them in species tanks.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Blackshark667766

5 Year Member
Hemichromis Q.

:x I've tried very Hard not to advise on the availabilty of Hemichromis species, but some people are determined to be hurt. 20 years later, the same lesson must be learned. This time, it won't be mine.

Nick

Randall

5 Year Member
Re: Hemichromis Q.

Blackshark667766 said:
:x I've tried very Hard not to advise on the availabilty of Hemichromis species, but some people are determined to be hurt. 20 years later, the same lesson must be learned. This time, it won't be mine.

Nick

Dear Nick,

With all due respect, the genus Hemichromis was described by the great Dr. Wilhelm Peters in 1858 for a Chromis type African cichlid that possesses a simplified buccal dentition (type and arrangement of jaw teeth). Since that time, much has been written about Hemichromis in the way of descriptions, monographs and revisions by the likes of authors such as Guichenot (1861), Gill (1862), Sauvage (1880), Boulenger (1899 & 1915), Burchard & Wickler (1965), Thys van den Audenaerde (1968), Payne & Trewavas (1976), Loiselle (1979) and Greenwood (1985), to site an incomplete list that consists of some the very finest workers of their respective times.

From a systematic perspective, the tribe hemichromini clearly is one of the best documented and understood and is integral to our current understanding of the phylogenetic relationships of the family cichlidae.

As implied in my July 2004 Cichlid News article, historically these fishes have long been objects of fascination among hobbyists and are valued for their interesting behavior as well as their magnificent coloration. Where aggression is concerned, Hemichromis species are not more pugnacious than many other robust, mid-sized cichlids. In my opinion, to suggest that this significant group be ignored based on what appears to be a lack of adequate husbandry knowledge does not further the hobby, nor does it do justice to the fish themselves.

For further information, please refer to

http://cichlidnews.com/issues/2004jul/cerasogaster.html.

Thank you.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

Blackshark667766

5 Year Member
Hemichromis spp.

:lol: Silly me; I was of course subliminally (and incorrectly) referring to the "terrible twins" ; Hemichromis elongatus and Hemicromis fasciatus (which of course only assume their red "mantle" (if only partially - when breeding)! I had only just completed a rather tiring, tiresome and lengthy (but worthwhile) post for another, when this one caught my eye.

An over -simplification/error, I agree, and one for which I am correctly "censured". No disrespect to the great "Masters", either past or present, was implied, nor should ever be inferred.

I read your article with great interest, and have clearly benefitted from its content. As a third year mature student, reading Mathematics, may I gracefully and humbly point out that scientific papers are sometimes completely incomprehensible to the "layperson/man, but are nevertheless of tremendous interest to the "devoted" outwith the mainstream of the intelligensia; but by their very nature, very difficult to obtain by the "uninitiated", owing to restricted publication.

My latin is so rusty, as to preclude me from including the equivalent word for "embarrassed". Take it as "red" [stated in context :!: , of course, combined with the Greek for "faced" ]. Should turn out something like rubrofacie/urum ( :oops: ) or equivalent, N .

Therefore not only do I owe you a direct and open apology with extenuating circumstances (check the time of my post), but also many thanks for making your article generally available. I had the opportunity of subscribing to Cichlid News many years ago, but didn't. This situation will be rectified, regardless of the pressure of my main pursuits.

Finally: as a true fan and keeper of both (freshwater) Black sharks (Labeo chrysophekadion), and of a quintet of juvenile Jack Dempseys (Parachromis (?) octofasciatus; an ex - amateur boxer and rugby footballer, to boot(!), perhaps I should re - evaluate my concept of the term "aggressive" :?: :lol: I do hope this goes some way to explain my mindset: with only the faint whiff of human hyprocrisy! I find fishkeeping such a gentle pursuit, normally, that I lose sight of the "extremes" occaisionaly.

O.K :!:

I read Conrad Lorenz's books back in the 70's, together with Desmond Morris's works 1966 - 1987 (The human Ape 1966) and "Manwatching (1986) and have never agreed much with either. Morris' later work on football fan behaviour, was much more interesting, however, especially in retrospect, of the much criticised Metropolitan Police undercover operation ("Own goal").[1988]

I didn't miss out on the hardcore "facework" either: I was a London cop, during the height of the 80's bombscares (genuinely frightening work: I was 19 at the time), and on duty during the shift that PC Blakelock died. [Lest he be forgotten] - so never would doubt my respect for the explorers that do so much work on our behalf. Mucho cojones

Let's concentrate on the fish.

No - one's perfect, Randall (Maximum respect). Even by association, that first name, means a great deal to me.

I wish and will you all the very best, in the world,

Nick

P.S. I spent 9/10 fantastic years in Sierra Leone, during the 70's, and although very rare reports of human cannabilism occured, together with the threat of the "Black December gang" : mass, indescriminate violence was an an extreme rarity. How times regrettably change, while human nature does not. N.

I sincerely hope to meet you one day: I am neither Christian, Muslim, nor Jew, yet would never hesitate to help you, under any circumstances. N

Skiploder

5 Year Member
I have been keeping hemichromis elongatus for quite a few years, and have recently acquired a male fasciatus.

I will not claim to be an expert with the elongatus since I have owned only two (and their offspring), but I have found them to be no more aggressive than similar sized CA species when kept as single specimens. When a mated pair, spawns, well, that's another story.

After my female passed away last, year, I moved my five year old male out of the 90 gallon species tank I had kept them (now housing the fasciatus) in and into a 180 gallon planted community setting. His tolerance with other fish has been nothing short of amazing. Until my new 125 gallon has finished cycling, he is sharing space with a mature male large spot, a large male convict, a mature female salvini, a crenicichla semifasciatus and assorted dithers.

There are minor aggression issues between the sal and the con, and the sal and the pike, but none when the "General" is in their immediate area. The tank is almost eerily peaceful and I am almost afraid to move him into his new home with the bleekeri for fear of upsetting the status quo of the tank.

I have noted that on some other boards, the hemichromis elongatus has attained an almost mythical reputation for aggression. Ditto with the fasciatus. Most LFS in my area have stopped carrying the Generals because they literally can't move them for this reason. It's a pity, because they are an amazing fish to keep.

Blackshark667766

5 Year Member
Hemichromis spp.

:( Firstly, may I express my sympathy for your loss: I lost me 15 year old Black shark 3 days after this New year following a 16 hour power outage (I think that is the correct expression). Call me a sentimental old fool if you wish - but (s)he has her own grave in my garden. Irreplaceable.

Following that "thread" :?: - it could be that the elongatus (or General, as you quite rightly have named him), is simply in a state of spousal -loss shock. Many species; from swans to seahorses, mate for life, so perhaps his quietness is more easily understood (within this context).
Anthropomorphic? Yes 8O

A 125 gall.(U.S.) tank, is (if my arithmetic is correct), a very handsome 473 litres or put another way 6/7/8 foot tank (depending on exact width and depth specifications).

As to whether or not to move your fish :? This is really a matter for your own instinct. The balance of opinion favours the move purely, because the bigger set up is slightly more chemically stable. On the other hand: this may mean :?: installing the current fish in a "holding" tank, while the old system is replaced by the new one, thus doubling the stress to the fish. However, we are not talking about porcelain figurines here: most fish are much tougher than we give them "credit" for. Simply expect some of them to hide and "sulk" for a few days.

You don't need me to tell you to keep plenty of "hiding places"; caves, bogwood, rocks et cetera, in both the holding pen and the new tank (once installed), nor to keep at least 25 - 50% of the original tank water for the use of each move, nor to keep all the original filters "permanantly" alive, while you install the new equipment [and I mention it, only for the benefit of others].

When moving fish, I find it extremely handy, to catch them using a hugely over - sized net; then without actually removing them from the water, place an appropriate - sized clean food - quality container underneath the net so that the fish are never exposed to the air, while the folds of the net prevent them from jumping out. I sometimes think that fish are much more afraid of air than we are of water :eek:

As for the Convict cichlid :) , who doesn't love them? Have you seen the "new" tank bred "marbled" versions yet :?: Gorgeous. I'm quite sure the "Cichlsoma" sajica can take care of her(?)self, meanwhile..... duty calls - and I am her "servant". Dedication to waterchanges 8O

Please let us all know how you get on; time waits for no man.

All the very best,

Nick

Skiploder

5 Year Member
The 125 was actually "cycled" by using additional filter pads from my XP3 and 2128 and moving them into new filters. I am finishing the rest of the cycle by establishing the plants. Some dithers and about fifty ghost shrimp are also in the tank to keep the biofilter fed and the plants free of nuisance algae until they really take hold.

I won't call you a sentimental old fool for the simple reason that losing the female was actually a wee bit emotional for us. It was very touching the way that they paired up, swam together, protected their fry, rubbed against each other, et al for five years. It was also touching the way the male really seemed to miss here for the first few weeks she was gone. But hey, these are fish and I probably shouldn't be attibuting human feeling to them.....................

Yes the marbled versions are neat - have you seen the Honduran Red Points? Check them out when you get a chance.

Blackshark667766

5 Year Member
Hemichromis elongatus

:) You've lost me a bit in the "2138?" department. Most of of "poor boys"' over in the U.K. use internal Fluvals , until we graduate onto Eheims!/Stop robbing banks or giving up cars and women :!: (Not yet :!: )

Earning a living: that's for feeble - mined/minded non risk - takers and really old men. Perhaps I aught to leave them to it, cos I sure as Hell ain't coming out of retirement,

Don't make me laugh :lol: I am old enough (as you point out ) to require repair to my (fallen Angel's wings). So be it. You know where to find me.

[As for losing certain fish. I once lost a soulmate. That hurt too.]
Even I don't talk about it.

Let's talk about fish

Nick

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fish Gramma

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(