• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help!!!! wath can I do????

xtr-xtr

5 Year Member
Hi,

I have a Neolamprolugus ocellatus with an open mouth, and the open mouth cannot return to its original possition!!!
wath can i do???

fishboy20

5 Year Member
I have had this happen before to some apistos, not much you can do at this point. I usually put the fish down at this point becuz there is no way to cure it and the fish could be suffering. Shelldwellers are certainly more prone with the larger jaw structure to them. Sry to hear about your ocellatus.

2la

5 Year Member
Since cichlids have pharyngeal teeth, is it possible that they can eat regardless of whether or not the mouth is open? I'm just not sure I'd be so quick to euthanize without seeing how the fish gets along first.

fishgeek

how old is the fish ?
had 2 siamese fry survive with similar probs
they used to fed like mini basking sharks?

if its older i'll see what i can find about adult onset jaw accidents

andrew

fishgeek

deformity or mallocclusion of the mouth has been reported in many species of fish
either following ulceration, trauma and for congenital reasons
unfortunately no corrective therapy has been identified

it was interesting to not that angelfish have been seen to get tooth tumours !

looks like it will just have to be a judgement call

Andrew

xtr-xtr

5 Year Member
It dosent is a deformity, I think a fight is the cause.

yesterday i take the fish and with more care i attempt to put it well...at firts time the mouth dosnt close but the second time it looks more close...

the fish looks well, eats and fight like the others. but the mouth is open.
I wait some days..

thanks for the anserws

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….