• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help Identify Please??

Lebo89

Hey guys, I am new to this site but have had these apistos for a while now. Please help me ID them!?

This first one (maria), i got from a store, and they called it a female yellow cacatuoid. shes quite small still, less then an inch or close to it. All yellow/white. Sometimes has orange-ish tipped fins. Her eyes almost protrude from her face. Very docile, likes to hide, almost impossible to get a decent picture.
9PXP8

This second one (Jose), i got him from a store, and they called it a male yellow cacatuoid. He is about an inch and a half or so. As you can tell, pale yellow/white in base color, has a black stripe that runs across him and has very cool orange and black fins. When pissed off (lol) his fins become quite erect and you can see his true colors. He pretty much owns the tank, he likes to get his picture taken.
gO0wQ

This third one (Franklyn), I got her from a store and have no idea what she was named. She is about an inch and a quarter in length. Is yellow with a black stripe across her body. I have had her the longest, and still have no clue as to what she actually is. Her temperament is more of a dont mess with me and i wont mess with you deal. Keeps to herself, but is still social when its feeding time. That is her cave right there.
wowiy

This last one (Antares), I think is the only one i truly know what she is. I think she is a double red agassizii. I have been looking for a male for a long time, cant find one. I picked up a juvenile the other day and put it in the tank. It is fine, and sticks up for itself, but couldnt get it to come out for long enough to get a picture. It has the same body as this one, but no color. Completely Silver and black. I dont know if she will get color or is another type of the same breed. Time will tell, i can be sure its not a male tho.
dUGUF

Thanks for any help i can get!! :wink:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
First, welcome to the apisto forum. Sadly, your descriptions are too vague to provide an ID. They describe virtually every species/form of apisto. Your fish are still rather small (young?) and probably don't show many diagnostic features yet. Still, photos would really help ... or at least review the 'sticky' at the top of this forum page to see if you can provide a better description.

Lebo89

im sry my pictures wouldnt load... and i couldnt delete the post... ima try to post links to the pics

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well, the fish in the first photo is out of focus. It is hard to identify. My guess is that it is a female A. cacatuoides of some domestic strain.
The second photo shows a male A. cacatuoides of the double-red domestic strain. Sadly, he is very poor quality with a bent spine.
The third photo shows a female A. cacatuoides.
The fourth photo shows A. agassizii, probably a young male. The tail will develop a lance shape on males when fully mature; it remains round on females.

Lebo89

u really think the agassizii is a male? from pictures ive seen on the internet females are yellow and red while males are more silver in color?

and sorry for the crappy quality, my fish never sit still long enough to get a good pic.

why do you think the male is a double red cacatuoide? just askin bc the store said yellow?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The yellow strains of A. cacatuoides have a yellow body (males) that don't show much pigment on the body. The A. agassizii looks like a young male because of the amount of metallic blue on the face and color on the body and fins. Females are usually more bland.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….