• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from Belgium

ApistoKev

Hello everybody!

My name is Kevin, I'm only 21 years old and yet very interested in dwarf cichlids!

I myself own various apisto species and I have bred with most of which I own. I continue to learn everyday and after years of searching I still haven't found the apisto's I want the most. But more about that later.

I currently have:

A 33 gal(120 liters) which I consider a show tank of apisto's. It's an amazone biotope tank with a pair of A. viejita, a pair of A. Agassizii of whom the boths pairs breed frequently but since I don't intend to breed them I just leave them there and If I got surviving fry I give them to good friends. Furthermore the tank houses a variety of female apisto's who have been driven away from pairs of where I lost the male.
These are: A female A. Cacatuoides (spelling?), a female A. trifasciata and a female A. Borelli. Because of the natural habitat they all live and thrive there, sometimes a little quarrel but each has their own oak-leaf-coverd coconut.

I also have 2 20 gal (long) breeders of which one is split into 2 and another into 3.
The one which is split into 2 houses a pair of A. Cacatuoides triple red (altough I suspect the female to be double red) who breed frequently. On the other side of the tank I have a breeding pair of A. nijseni which also breed frequently.

All of the fry go into the 20 gal that is split into 3. All fry of 1 - 5/6 weeks goes into the left, when I feel they get to big I move them to the middle part and the bigger right part is for grow out. Since it's a fairly "large" tank it's easy to keep water parameters good and it isn't all that hard to clean.

Now I am really happy with my current stock of apisto's but I really would love to keep and breed some of the less common apisto species. Especially the A. Barlowi or A. kelleri. Unfortunatly I haven't had the luck to encounter them here in Belgium. I know there should be Dutch Apisto enthusiasts that were among the first to bring the A. kelleri to europe but I haven't encountered any yet. My only lead is a large shipping company (I don't know if I can say the name on here, if yes i'll edit) which I contacted that had kelleri fry growing out but I never heard of them again, so I assume the fry was already reserved of didn't make it.

If there are any people here from belgium or the netherlands that has any of these 2 species and is willing to sell/ship them please don't hesitate! Or if they just want to get to know me and talk about apisto's don't hold back!

Now that's me in a rather large coconutshell!
Nice to meet you!

arodg12

Hey Kevin,

Welcome to the forum, sounds like some good setups my friend! Good luck on finding those species (I'm from the U.S. so couldn't help ya).

Regards,
Corey

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….