• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hallo from the Netherlands ;)

nijrem

29 yr old musician from the Netherlands here. Not too experienced with the Apisto's but have had a couple Agassizii for about a year.

After having a tiny Aqua30 with some guppies (and two Oto's) in my old place I lived at while studying, I moved to a bigger place.

I got myself a 2nd hand Rio125, bought an internal filter, sand substrate, driftwood and some other hiding spots like coconuts, some plants followed and some guppies moved in there (2 weeks after adding some bacteria; which an LFS told me I should've just done immediately; adding the gups?).

Obviously this was not the 'plan' for the 125L. I wanted a couple of Apisto Agassizii. So first, the Oto's moved in with the guppies. Then something like 10 Corydoras Pygmeus and 12 Ember tetra.(love those embers by the way!). Finally a couple of Agassizi.
Male never liked the female. And the feeling was mutual. I've seen her turn bright yellow just once, but all it instigated was another rather violent chasing of the male.

I probably should've tried exchanging her maybe; but I was, and still consider myself, unexperienced.

It's been sitting around like this for a bit over a year, I removed the guppies 3 days ago and the female has just died yesterday. Not sure what the cause was, stress, not being able to get enough food. The guppies were really probably the guys and girls distracting the male from harassing the female too much; but its just a guess. Both her and his behaviours changed radically. Both went into hiding since the guppies left the tank (back to the Aqua40)

Anyway.. For about 6 months Ive had an empty 2nd hand 180L Rio behind my couch. I'm filling that up since about a week. I was intending to move all the 125L stock to there and add some of the same, but its proven difficult to find 'normal' agassizii locally. I have one more good LFS to check, which I'll be doing tomorrow..

It already has a nice piece of bogwood/driftwood and a couple different echinodorus in there. I'll try to let them grow out a bit before I add more. Sand substrate again, which is still clearing up a bit but the external filter is doing its job well.

Stock in the 125L at this moment;
15 Hyphessobrycon amandae - Ember Tetra
10 Cory Pygmaeus
1 tiny Ancistrus Leucosticus
1 Otocinclus Vittatus
1 M /2 F Apistrogramma Agassizii

What I'd like for the bigger tank is to maybe increase some numbers and ofcourse add more Apistogramma/Dwarf Cichlid. Not a big fan of Microphaegus though. Maybe I should stick to the one species and add a bunch more females, maybe even another male. Fallen in love with Macmasteri too though.

Breeding wouldn't be a big priority but I might start using the Rio125 for that if I do really want to ;)

So.. I'll keep you updated while I lurk the forums and study more and more :cool:

edit: Managed to find 2 females. They seem happy in the 125 for now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….