• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Guppy tank centerpiece?

Sanderguy777

I am absolutely brand new to the South American cichlids (I had a Jack Dempsey in an African tank but that was when I didn't really know better. Also, I've had a few angels over the years, but I don't see them as a cichlid, just like a tomato isn't a fruit...LOL)

Anyway, I live in Santa Rosa, CA and the water here is like 7.4-7.8. Is it possible, in my high pH water to keep South American cichlids? The LFS I like gets them from Florida I believe (where they are raised in high pH water) so my hypothesis is that they should be fine with my water.

Secondly, is there a centerpiece fish that would go in my guppy tank that is a bit bigger and super colorful? (or maybe a schooling fish?) I need it to be guppy and shrimp safe (bamboo, and probably neocaradina at some point). I am thinking apisto macmasteri, cacatoides, or agassizii for the centerpiece. Or some small rainbowfish or tetra for the schooling, if I couldn't do a SA cichlid species.

This is the 60g guppy tank I would be putting them in.
20200927_223139.jpg

Sanderguy777

Hi all, A male Apistogramma cacatuoides wouldn't mind hard water, and would fulfill the other criteria, but is definitely not Cherry Shrimp safe.

cheers Darrel
Great! Adding females would NOT be advisable correct? (I assume the aggression would go up and the length of guppy tails down, right?)

Would 2 males work? Or would they fight? (I was hoping for more than one, but one will work if they wojld fight otherwise).

Sanderguy777

Thank you.
Why Cacatoides specifically?
Would an Agassizii work too? Just curious as I want to get it at my LFS and their selection is pretty limited.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elvashave

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….